01 f-150 5.4L differential?

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by bassforme, Oct 11, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. bassforme

My f-150 has 9.75 but I don't know the gear ratio I called the Ford dealer and said they couldn't tell so the told me to make an app to have it manual checked by them,How can see what gear ratio I have? Thanks

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

if the 150 is like most any other ford, the gear ratio can be found by decoding the "warranty plate" on the driver side "B" pillar.
    look for the letter/number under axle and post it here. someone will be able to tell you the gear ratio the truck was built with.

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

First digit of the axle code on the above decal:
    1 = open, non-limited slip
    2 = open, non-limited slip, 3/4 ton differential (Super Duty)
    3 = open, non-limited slip, 1 ton differential (Super Duty)
    H = limited slip, 1/2 ton differential (F150)

Second digit:
    5 = 4.10
    6 = 3.73
    7 = 2.47
    8 = 3.08
    9 = 3.55

If there's a 3rd digit it will be a "B" or "2", if it's a 4x4 with a limited-slip front differential. There are more axle ratios, but they are uncommon. If your axle code doesn't match any of this, post it here.

4. bassforme

Ok so it's H9 under axle on sticker,so it's limited slip 3.55 ratio..wow I feel a bit smarter today
    Thanks people

5. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

on the rear axle......the tag will have numbers "3L55" will specify the 3:55 gear ratio, limited slip, followed by 975

6. bassforme

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >