09 F150 Aftermarket Webasto sunroof (moonroof?)

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by bigrigfixer, Feb 2, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Evenin doodz.

So remember when I bought my truck and the sunroof was leaking? The glass separated from the frame? The dealer fixed the left side as that was where the issue was at the time.

Now the right side had broken loose.

I'm not to keen on bringing it back to the dealer if I can fix it myself, or at least get a glass guy to do it if he has the stuff...

Any glass guys on here that can give me some pointers? I imagine the glass and the frame need to be as clean as possible, and there's some kind of epoxy I'm supposed to use. If anybody has the name of that epoxy that would be great!

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Subscribing. Have had my share of sunroof problems.

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Pictures would help.
    I know what to tell you to re-laminate a windshield into it's frame with, and how, but not sure of a sun roof.

Could very well be the same products are used

bigrigfixer likes this.
  4. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Well, I have some pics but not a lot. I'll upload them in a bit, but first thing I did was blow dry the affected area with compressed air. Sheet metal around the gasket, the gasket itself, and the sunroof glass.

Then I had to figure out a way to hold the glass away from the frameworks. I used to have some spreaders from a glass guy, but they seem to have grown legs. I used some carpenters pencils instead. You can see one in the left corner.

That's my neighbour's house with the Christmas lights still up.

Did my best to get the old glue/epoxy off by using a utility knife. The glass guy lent me his primer and urethane to glue the glass and frame back together.

He told me to let the primer set for 5 minutes before I apply the urethane, and then I should let that set for at least 8 hours before I move the truck. I left it for a the long weekend, seems to be good so far.

I knew I wanted pictures, and there would have normally been lots of them, but I kind of got lost in the job. I had a perfect shot of the urethane sitting on the frame just before I set the glass down on it, but I had urethane on my gloves and didn't want to get that stuff on my phone. But I did take the gloves off to set the glass down, and when I realized I should have taken the picture it was too late.

The thing I was most worried about was the frame was a bit rusty in some spots. The glass guy couldn't stress enough that cleanliness is key. The way the glass is stuck to the frame, I couldn't get it as clean as I would have liked, so I may be redoing it again in a year or so.

It was a simple enough job, the glass doesn't lift up at highway speeds anymore, wind noise is not coming from there anymore. Overall, I'm pleased with the outcome.

There is new wind noise though, coming from the towing mirrors I installed on Christmas Eve. Kind of forgot about that. And the vent shades make a bit of wind noise too. But both serve a functional purpose, so I'll have to live with the noise they generate.

5. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I asked for some pointers from our glass guy, and he said he glues glass to metal all day every day, so he lent me the stuff he uses. I guess what I forgot to put in my post above was the sunroof gasket and the sunroof glass frame are made stuck to the glass in 4 pieces. The glass is bonded to the frame which is bonded to the gasket that seals to the roof skin. The glass (bonded to the gasket and frame) also bolts to the slide mechanism.

So I'm basically gluing the glass to the metal piece that is bolted to the slide mechanism.

Ultimately it ended up working. The only thing other than cleanliness that I had to worry about was making sure there wasn't any gaps in the urethane for water to get through.

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Where did you pickup the glass primer and adhesive?

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

You can get it at NAPA ken

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Thanks, because I've never seen them at the local Autozone!

9. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

The glass guy we use at work lent it to me.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >