09 F150 getting updated finally

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by bigrigfixer, Feb 26, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

After years of basic maintenance, it's finally getting some upgrades.

I am a commercial transport mechanic, so I am fully capable of performing these jobs, but I'm just not set up to do the engine work at home. So I have to admit, I am paying somebody to do some of it. They've had my truck since Tuesday, and I'm looking forward to getting it back tomorrow.

Anyway, since my wife got her Jeep, we discussed either upgrading from an F150, downsizing to a Ranger or New Bronco, or even getting back into a car (never gonna happen as a primary vehicle). Rather than spend 30, 40, or even 50,000 on a new vehicle, I felt it would be more beneficial to upgrade my current truck. So what is being done this week is new spark plugs and coils, cam phaser lockouts and tune, timing chain and tensioners, a cracked exhaust manifold and a bunch of broken studs.

The rest I'll be able to do in my driveway. On order are Raptor head and tail lights, should be here in a couple weeks. In a couple months I'm planning on a Flowmaster Outlaw cat back, backup camera, and a tonneau cover. Then my moonroof needs attention again.

I'll report on the plugs and cam phaser lockout tune in a few days.

Tags:
    clux likes this.
  2. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

After having it back for just over 24 hours, I'm happy with the results. No more exhaust leaks. No more valve train noise. Nice and quiet again, doesn't sound like a piece of neglected junk. The guy showed me the seals on my tensioners were blown out, and one of the chain guides were cracked.

As for power, basically going by the seat of my pants, it pulls better from a stop. Top end is a little weak compared to before, but it still pulls pretty good. Glad I did it.

I've been listening to sound clips on YouTube the last few nights, trying to figure out if I really want the Outlaw cat back, and if I want to go duals or stay with single exhaust, or just get a 40 Series Flowmaster and only replace the stock muffler. I know MBRP is pretty popular, but going by the sound clips, it's not really what I'm looking for. Maybe I'm not hearing the right one yet, who knows. I'll keep checking though.

3. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

How many miles on your F150 Joe?

4. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

192,000 kms, or about 120,000 miles

5. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

IMG-20210228-WA0002.jpg #ad

This was one of the tensioners, seal blew out in a couple spots. The other side wasn't any better.
    IMG-20210228-WA0001.jpg #ad

Chain guide, cracked.
    IMG-20210228-WA0003.jpg #ad

Right side exhaust manifold cracked. You might have to zoom in to see it.

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It's nice to give them a freshen up now and then, ain't it? :)

That's a very long crack on the manifold!

7. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Raptor lights installed today! IMG_20210312_153641_638.jpg #ad

Before and after.

8. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Installed a 3" cat back single exhaust with a Flowmaster Super 44, and a 4" black rolled tip on Wednesday evening. Sounds killer now. Sound clip in the link.

9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I like the blacked out backgrounds on headlights and taillights. It gives these trucks a meaner look!

bigrigfixer likes this.
  10. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Tonneau cover came today, installed this evening after dinner. Took about an hour start to finish, with the fine tuning and squaring it up. I had one on my old Ranger, can't believe I waited 5 years to get this one.

11. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

IMG_20210530_211837.jpg #ad

Backup camera installed. Screen in the clip on mirror until I get a touchscreen deck.

Mirror is pretty dark, gonna take some getting used to, but the screen lights up well with the camera on.

12. 5.0FordGuy

Those Raptor lights look great, I was considering them for my 14. Mind me asking what you paid for them?

13. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

All 4 lights were just under $600 Canadian

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >