09 F150 Supercrew HVAC drain

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by bigrigfixer, Apr 24, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Where is it? Where does it come out?

Over the winter and early spring there wasn't any reason to notice the hvac puddle under the truck. Since the rains started, I thought I developed a leak, since my drivers side carpet is wet.

Turns out, I had a brain fart. I remembered my Expedition did the same thing. The hvac drain was plugged, and overflowing into the cab. What confirms it for my F150 is there was no hvac puddle today after running the a/c. And the leak that isn't, in the winter and early spring, was the hvac on defrost, which also uses a/c.

So, does anybody know where the drain is supposed to be? Because I checked today with a hot exhaust and I couldn't find it.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

They've kept in the same place from 2004 on up through 2014 (not sure on 2015+). Remove the passenger side front wheel, then the wheel liner. On the firewall you'll see the silver insulation covering the firewall and a drain plug sticking out of it about a half inch. It sticks out horizontally which is a poor design because stuff be blown into it and clog it from the outside. Ford even makes an elbow you can put on the plug which faces down so this won't happen... they've made this elbow for a decade and a half... yet never installed it that way from the factory (probably to save a lousy buck on the cost).

So get the elbow from a Ford dealer before you clean it out, to save this from happening again :)

bigrigfixer and dustybumpers like this.
  3. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Gotta pull the liner? That's just wonderful.

4. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Got a part number for that elbow?

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

4M2Z-6A614-AA Ford dealers will want to charge $20+, but there are some Ford dealers selling it for half as much on Ebay. Its' good from 1997+.

It will not be listed as a compatible part number, but that's okay. Ford mentions it in several TSB's for the F150. It's actually a part they made for Lincoln Mark VIIIs back in the 1990s, but continue to make it because it's popular adding it to the F150.

It looks similar to a regular rubber elbow you can pickup at an auto parts store, but has a slight lip on one end to keep it from going in too far.

6. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Thanks Ken.

I went to the dealer today, said they could get it for tomorrow, $32.

I think I'll try eBay or Amazon.

I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon, so I can't exactly wait, gonna just use a pipe cleaner on the drain.

7. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Good thing I didn't order the elbow, because the drain wasn't plugged.

Still baffled by the fact that there isn't any condensation coming out of it though.

As to the wet floor, I pulled up the carpet and found the TOP of the duct to the rear seat heat was wet with condensation. I'm wondering if there's some crap from the kids jammed in the outlet, or if this is a common issue or design flaw with these trucks.

Off to the search engine, will keep you posted.

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  8. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Some of what I read last night said it was still the hvac drain, and that I should get the elbow, and others said it was leaking from the third brake light, filling up the wiring trough and making its way forward to the drivers floor.

Ordered a smoked led third brake light. Hope it comes with a gasket.

Gonna go back to the Ford dealer on Monday and order the elbow.

Covering 2 bases that way.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >