1940 Ford 1 ton project - starting out

Discussion in '1947 and Older Pre F-Series Ford Truck Forum' started by Dale 1940, Nov 21, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Dale 1940

Hi, I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I have done a couple of restorations (69 MGB and 65 Cutlass vert) but this is my first try at a Ford. I acquired a 1940 Ford 1 ton that I believe is in reasonable shape. My intention is to take the body off and put it on a modern platform so that it will be a reliable daily driver. The engine in the truck is ceased as are all the wheels so I don't think a total restoration is possible and that is taking me down the daily driver route. I was hoping that someone out there has done this before and could give me some direction to what kind of frame I should be looking to put under the truck. The wheelbase is 122 inches so I need a similar sized frame although I am open to shortening the box to accommodate a shorter frame (unless that is sacrilegious in the Ford world). Any help or suggestions would be most welcome.

Ford Truck.jpg #ad

Tags:
    iicap likes this.
  2. iicap

Hi Dale 1940, Welcome to FTZ.
    From the first I Can't answer the questions you ask. Me and prob most members here would love to see it sit on a Ford frame and be Ford powered.
    THESE are just some thoughts.
    Working with with what you have, thinking a very sound frame, popular are front suspension conversion from Ford Crown Victoria car, Mustang front suspensions and maybe some custom offers. Next this truck has Torque Tube Drive (enclosed driveshaft). I'd ask you, Does This Truck, have 1 transverse rear spring or 2 springs, 1 on each frame rail??? You would be wanting to go to open driveshaft with your updating and may have to add rear spring perches to the frame and then, rear end choices would be endless, like with disc brakes already on the axle.
    In 1948,Ford Trucks went to open driveshafts and two rear springs and 2 front springs. Common today in bigger trucks and some 4X4 pickups If you were to choose a later Ford frame 1948 to 64, the frames are as just described. For me the frame should be up to 1964. From 65 on to 79 and later Ford used Twin Eye Beam front suspension on 2 wheel drive trucks would never be my choice.

As I said, just some thoughts and info for You. Will gladly expand on what I've written or anything more for You, just ask.

Good Luck, Cap

3. captchas

welcome to our site. sadly i'm a model a .or 33/34 type of guy can't be of much help on a 40 other than advise on how to build that flatie back together. placing that body on a new frame can be done using a aftermarket custom but that will run around 20k for a rolling frame .putting it on another brand frame is sacrilegious in many of our minds .bad enough when we stick a chevy in a ford .
    if your dead on using another frame a S10 chevy single cab wb is 117.6 a extracab wb is 122.9 front track is 57.2 rear track is 55.1 not that can't be made wider using a 9.0 ford rear made to your specs as the s10 uses leaf springs in the rear

Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
    iicap likes this.
  4. RP67F100

Haven’t had any experience myself, but there are a lot of people putting old bodies on newer donor frame with more modern features. Watched a video last week of a 70F250 body on a 2022 chassis . Only thing 70 was the sheet metal. I am a purest and would love to see it on a Ford frame, Just looking at your photo I think it would fit on a F250 , maybe early 2000 with a 7.3 turbo diesel. But you could back up to early 70s and avoid all the new electronics.
    You can find some specs sheets and find the dementions that match closely to yours

iicap likes this.
  5. iicap

Great content from, "captchas" and "RP67F100". There are So Many Possibilities and ways to go. I guess looking at, what your everyday use of this truck will be, when You Finish It, might help in your pathway choice. Just to Cruise with, a Daily Driver, are you a Tradesman, maybe self employed and using it in that work and it being a GREAT advertisement tool for your business, (and deduction, hint at possibly recouping monies spent on Restoration). Are you going to want to hit the Interstate for a few hrs, cruising at 70. People are going to ask you about this truck everywhere you go.
    Cap

6. captchas

for a note on using a s10 frame, it's a common frame ,locally this was done a few years back, vw rabbit convert dang body bolt right down with a few extra brackets

0512141132.jpg #ad

0512141139.jpg #ad

7. Dale 1940

Thanks for all the replies. My plan is to have a truck that handles and drives like a current truck, street and highway only no off road stuff. I'm hoping to get the body off the frame in the next couple of months (I have another project going as well) and determine a good candidate to replace the frame. It would be nice to drop in a coyote engine but that would cause big problems with the law and I'm too old for that! I will be taking all the advice from this Ford community and hopefully come out with enjoyable driver. Thanks all.

captchas likes this.
  8. captchas

your going to find many of us are around your age bracket, to old to want to deal with the younger wise AZZ leo's , all of us don't mind sharing what we learned using the old hands on,

power wise i'd simply round up a old 302 give it a mild warm over, you will have more than enough power for that rig, rear axle a 9.0 incher will more than suffice. transmission up to you a 4 speed auto or a 5 speed stick, if you prefer to roll the gears

S10 frames if you can find a solid one give's lots of options, it's a commonly used one. another help building that rig can be found in the hot rodder web sites https://www.fordbarn.com, https://www.jalopyjournal.com

9. RP67F100

Never seen one, but I would think that one cab and box would be too big for a S10 frame??
    Lots of builds getting coyote engines these days, and even the newer Godzilla 7.3, but I agree a good 302 with out all the sensors and electronics would be a lot simpler. Especially for non tech guys

captchas likes this.
  10. captchas

long body/super cab 6 foot bed s10 wheel base is 122.7 inches close enough to your 40 one tonner, than if a small block bolts right down into a s10 with a little work most of todays engines will fit, even a godzilla which fits into a old mustang with ease would go into that frame

if your after power, stoker 302 into a 331/347 or 351 into a 427 newer efi for fuel , this is a 302 /stroker 331 we placed into a cobra kit car, made 417 hp on the dyno something like wise will haul that 40 around with ease

DSCN0552.JPG #ad

DSCN0551.JPG #ad

Dale 1940 likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >