1947 Ford Taildragger Truck - A Very Long and Dragged Out Build Thread With Long Breaks Between

Discussion in '1947 and Older Pre F-Series Ford Truck Forum' started by old_truck_guy, Jul 12, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. old_truck_guy

This is going to be a slow moving thread, so I apologize in advance to those of you who have less patience.
    This is my old 1947 Ford truck, which I have yet to start work on. I acquired it a while back but haven't done anything other than collect parts for it. I'll be starting the tear down soon, but I do have a lot of other stuff I need to get done around the house, so I'll be taking breaks in between to get other stuff done and keep the Mrs. happy.
    Anyway, the long term plan is a taildragger pickup. I've thrown in some pictures of my inspiration below. Although priority #1 is to get it roadworthy. I can mess with the body, stance, interior later. For me it's important to just be able to drive it.
    For drivetrain, I've acquired a couple of Y-Blocks and a T-5 from a Mustang. I'll get a 9" rear soon at a local junkyard. Body color will be flat black or matte black with light blue accent pieces (nose trim, headlight rings, bumper, grille, etc.). Fulton visor, and I'm debating on whether or not a dark blue metal flake roof would go with the theme, but I want to do a dark blue metal flake dash with some pinstriping. Keep the bench seat, or maybe get one that slides forward for my short legs. Maybe even one that's split, but probably not. I want to do a basic mexican blanket cover. All that, painted steelies and wide whites, peep mirrors, bubble skirts, and a low, slightly nose up stance is the ultimate end goal. But, as I said, running gear comes first.

Here is the truck in its current form.
    20220629_125638.jpg #ad

20220705_074322.jpg #ad

A couple of engines I picked up. Unfortunately I took the guy's word for it that they were 292s. Turns out one of them is a 239. Should have checked first. Supposedly, they were both rebuilt. He said he bought them as part of a lot of rebuilt engines from a shop liquidation sale.

This first one is a 292 from a 1960 - 1962 truck.
    20220706_090242.jpg #ad

And this one is a 239 from a 1954 passenger car. I wish I would have checked first because I overpaid for the pair.
    20220706_090251.jpg #ad

My transmission is a WC T-5 from a 1990 5.0 Mustang. At some point I'll need to acquire a tailshaft and shifter from an S-10 T-5....
    20220706_090311.jpg #ad

I got a bellhousing, clutch kit, throwout bearing from John Mummert to mate them together:
    20220707_170416.jpg #ad
    20220707_170823.jpg #ad

And here are some of the trucks I'm pulling inspiration from.
    Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 3.59.28 PM.png #ad
    taildragger_truck.png #ad
    taildragger_truck_2.png #ad
    taildragger_truck_40_ford.png #ad
    taildragger_truck_40_ford_2.png #ad

And last, here's a pic where I was playing around seeing what it would look like with the back end lowered. That's literally as far down as I could get it without pulling the jack out from under the punkin:
    20220703_094211.jpg #ad

Whew, that was a long post.

20220703_094211.jpg #ad

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Welcome aboard.

I'd consider bagging it if you plan to drive it instead of just showing it because I've seen too many at shows being terrible with hitting things on the underside.

3. old_truck_guy

I'm definitely considering it for the rear, but the cheapest I can find is $300 for a 4 link and bags and another $300 for the compressor kit.
    I don't have the budget for that out of the gate and I don't know enough about air bags to put together my own solution.

I can flip the rear axle for around $25 in hardware. I'm just going to go with that at the start and see if I want to change it later.

As for the front, I'm keeping the straight axle so no bags there. I'm thinking about shipping the axle off to Nostalgia Sid's to be dropped but again that's an expensive proposition.

I was looking at a front axle flip but that process makes me a little nervous and it might actually drop the front too far. Can't be a taildragger if the nose is too low.

4. iicap

Looking forward to you build. Thanks for coming back to Us !

5. old_truck_guy

Thanks, Cap. Hard to believe it's been 2 years since I've posted here. Also 2 years since I bought the truck and still nothing has been done on it.

6. old_truck_guy

I collected a few more parts over the last couple of weeks.
    Whitewall tires. I had to mock them up to see how it would look:
    20220714_201809.jpg #ad

I got a new shifter knob. Yes, I'm way ahead of myself there:

20220724_153129.jpg #ad
    20220724_153142.jpg #ad

And last but not least, I got a 9" rear out of a 71 Ford pickup. 1/4" difference in width, same wheel bolt pattern.

20220728_193750.jpg #ad
    20220728_193758.jpg #ad

7. old_truck_guy

Today I finally dragged it into the garage and started working on it. I got the front clip and the bed off today. Despite having sprayed everything down with PB blaster the night before, I had to "persuade" just about every nut and bolt to come out. Most had been in place for 75 years.
    20220729_180800.jpg #ad
    20220730_101134.jpg #ad
    20220730_134117.jpg #ad
    20220730_171627.jpg #ad
    20220730_171639.jpg #ad
    20220730_192215.jpg #ad

8. iicap

Guess we can say "Your On Your Way" ! Pictures are great! As I looked, I wondered if this truck was Torque Tube or Open Drive, Open I see. The Radio? just the controls in the dash and the radio remotely away? The 5 push button's ?? Gee, snow treads on the front, beautiful conventional's on the rear, nope, Not Front Wheel Drive, LOL! Gonna be a fun project for Ya.
    Cap

9. old_truck_guy

Ya, the tires are just anything that will hold air at this point. At some point I'll score a couple more stock 16" rims and I can paint them up and mount my whitewalls. But I'm a long ways from where that's going to start mattering.
    As for the radio, the stock AM radio is in the center of the dash. I'd venture to say it probably doesn't work. The 5 button selector is actually supposed to be a 6 button selector, and it's AM presets. This truck had all the add on features. An AM radio with selector buttons, a heater, passenger side wiper blade, and a 4 speed transmission.
    It's funny to think what were optional add-ons for a truck in 1947. Really weird that the heater was actually optional, but it was.

10. iicap

Cool on you response! Who needs a heater in Arizona? Back then, A Buck was A Buck, not wasted on frill's. Thinking a Young buyer was a kid during the depression.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >