1949 F1 frontend issue

Discussion in '1948 - 1952 Ford F1, F2 and F3 Truck Forum' started by erzmo, Apr 26, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. erzmo Vet Zone

sold the 50 and bought a 49. The 49 has a frontend alignment issue I believe. Still has the original frontend suspension but has a 351 cleveland motor installed,if that makes any difference. When driving down the road it rides smooth BUT will travel left if the steering wheel is let go.(must hold the wheel to the right to go straight) Brakes work fine and do not add to the issue. It shows no poor wear on the tires but they are old bias ply. I am going to put radials on the truck first. After that I would like to start with a front end check/alignment but as the truck is so old...no one has the specs. Can anyone on the forum share what the proper specs are? Thanks to all in advance.

Tags:
  2. erzmo Vet Zone

Has no one had a frontend alignment on their straight axel truck to this date? I just need the tow in/out specs for each side. HELP!!!

3. rickybobby

Once you change your tires if that doesn’t cure the problem , I know you said the brakes worked well but the left brake could be slightly adjusted a little tighter than the one on the right that would cause it to pull.
    Drive it about 10 or 12 miles, stop get out and feel of your wheel on the passenger side to see how hot it is, and feel the one on the left side and if it’s any hotter then you’ve got a brake adjustment problem.
    You may want to back off of it just a little bit .
    But one thing you need to know, these front ends are more peculiar than a beautiful woman with long eyelashes .
    In fact you can tie up more time and money in this front end than you can in that same woman, and still not have what you want. They beat you to death on a long trip, and are notorious for wandering from right to left.
    That’s why nearly everyone has swapped over to an independent front end with power steering and disc brakes......
    I changed my 56 over nearly 31 years ago, and my 64 about 26 years ago.

Much, much, better !

4. iicap

On your initial post. There is no toe in spec for either side, just the toe in because there is only one tie rod between the front wheels. As spec unknown, toe in of 1/8" would be a safe start. The first things I would do is make sure all tire pressures are equal, then swap front tires left and right, road test to see if drift goes to the right side. If the drift remains to the left, I'd adjust the front brakes. They are manual, not self-adjusting. I'd do this with the wheels off. Adjust tight so you just cant spin the drum, then back off till you just cant feel the shoes dragging against the drum, then do the other side. Road test again, if still drifting, have someone follow you and see if the truck is dog tracking as it goes down the road (meaning the front and rear axles are not parallel with each other), you could have a spring center bolt that is broken or shifted on an angle. Because this truck is hopped up with the 351 Cleaveland, does it have Traction Masters on the rear axle, (to prevent wheel hop)? I have nothing against suspension or brake upgrades, just your truck can handle well so long as your suspension components are ALL in good shape. 2021, 18 wheelers are going down the highways at 70 MPH with straight front axles with a single tie rod and handling just fine. Let us know what you find, Cap PS, I will check my old manuals for the correct toe in and post it back here. When switching to radials, I believe the toe will be set to Zero.

5. iicap

ALSO, while jacked up check for worn Kingpins, Tie Rod and Drag Link Ends and Loose wheel bearings. Do the right wheel first, left wheel MUST remain on the ground. Kingpin, grab tie at 12 and 6 o'clock positions, rock to and away from you, there should be NO movement. If there is movement, have someone look to see if movement is worn kingpin or loose wheel bearing. Next,grab wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock position, rock wheel to and away from you there should be NO movement. If movement you have a bad Tie Rod End(s), have someone look an see. BEFORE jacking up left side to check kingpin and wheel bearing, reach in and grab the steering wheel. Lightly rock back and forth while looking at left front wheel, there should be IMMEDIATE movement of the wheel, If Not, you may have a loose drag link end(s) or play in the steering box, have some one look. You've just inspect all your steering components for condition.

6. erzmo Vet Zone

Yes...I looked into a complete frontend change but can't locate anyone in The WNY area to install it. Not an every day job.

7. erzmo Vet Zone

Adjusted the front brakes...ditched the bias ply tires for radials and truck goes down the road like it did 72 years ago. (Right side drum was dragging quite a bit) Typical play in the steering wheel but doesn't wander or pull. 700 miles on new tires and they appear to wear,if any,normal.

8. iicap

Thanks for coming back to us! Try and find that bit of play in the steering and correct it, just to make it that much better.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >