1950 F1 won't fire

Discussion in '1948 - 1952 Ford F1, F2 and F3 Truck Forum' started by gmcole, Aug 5, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. gmcole

Recently acquired a 1950 F1 that had been sitting in a barn for several years. Gas tank was rusted so I changed that out, put in a new fuel pump, changed the plugs but can't get her to fire. Engine turns over but won't fire. Not sure if fuel issue still or spark issue - tough to tell when working by myself in the garage. Any help is appreciated. I am not a mechanic by trade but can follow directions pretty well. Everyone keeps telling me to look on YouTube but I don't see many 50 models being rebuilt.

Thanks for advice.

Tags:
  2. captchas

can you give a bit more info? what motor to start with, does it still have the flathead or was it swapped out to something else like a 302

3. gmcole

Thanks Captchas. The motor is the original Flathead V8. Sorry not much of a mechanic so not sure what other information would be helpful.

4. captchas

OK old school works,
    check for a spark, if not start with making sure you have power to the resistor from the on side of the key though to the coil . YEP! ford had a resistor even for 6 volts , clean the POINTS with some sand paper or a point file. make sure the carb is getting gas and working
    that engine should be a 8 ba 239 inches, http://www.vanpeltsales.com is a good place for top info and parts for these oldies . don't be afraid to pm me and pick my brains

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >