1950 F1 won't start

Discussion in '1948 - 1952 Ford F1, F2 and F3 Truck Forum' started by Ade, Mar 16, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Ade

1950 Ford F1, driven for the last four years. Stopped while being driven. New gas tank,lines and fuel pump. New Carb, points, plugs and cond. New Dist. cap, plug wires and coil. Ran Compression check, all good. Checked volts from ignition switch to coil was good. Spark at the spark plugs, good. Won't start. Anyone have an idea were to go from here.

Tags:
  2. iicap

1950, F1, stock truck?? Inline flathead 6, flathead V-8, 6 volt system?? Re powered with different engine?? All the things you have done, all since it quit running on you?? Is it a timing gear or timing chain engine?? Have you removed distributor cap and watched rotor for IMMEDIATE movement in each direction as you rock the engine back and forth?? Finally You say new distributor, You had engine on TDC on the compression stroke when you installed the distributor and if you check now the rotor is pointing directly to the #1 plug hole in the cap when on compression,TDC??

3. Ade

It is a timing gear engine. I did not remove or replace the distributor. I will check to see if there is movement in each direction as I rock the engine back and forth.

4. iicap

Also with #1 spark plug removed, bring engine up to Top Dead Center at the timing pointer . Take something, screwdriver, and place in the plug hole against the piston top, hold screwdriver as straight up as possible, and again rock engine back and forth to see if the piston goes up and down, with most up is in relation to the pointer at TDC.

5. erzmo Vet Zone

spark and fuel...see if rotor turns in distributor if a timing chain issue

6. iicap

Did you find the cause of your no start? If so, please share, it just might help others and I'm curious. Thanks, Cap

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >