1962 Ford F100 4x4

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by kjvforme, Apr 29, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. kjvforme Vet Zone Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Here is my 1962 F100 4x4
    [​IMG]
    It has a 4 speed manual and a 223 CID engine. ai408.photobucket.com_albums_pp166_kjvforme_IMG_0003_6.jpg #ad

ai408.photobucket.com_albums_pp166_kjvforme_IMG_0003_6.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. kjvforme Vet Zone Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It still needs a parking brake installed and the stack exhaust was removed and standard exhaust installed.

56panelford likes this.
  3. kjvforme Vet Zone Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Some something on the history of this truck. I got the truck from a friend of mine, a couple years back. He ws looking to make a job change and it wasn't running at the time. When he got it, it was running but very rough. So move forward year and it's not running at all will not hold an idle. I look at it find that the original Holley H-1 fad been replaced with a Autolite 1100. The vacuum adapter fitting that goes into the carb is missing and the tubing has been screwed into the body of the carb. Still have to find the correct fitting and fix that. Anyway it had one tire that was not the as the others and the battery was dead. So moving forward another two years he asks me if he could drop it at my place and sell it for him. He says I can have half what I sell it for. I agree aand he tows it to my house. I look at it and decide I want it and offer him $300.00. My thought is its a none runner, I have to purchase a new tire to get it on the road and the engines not running. The other thing is if I sold it for $600 he would onnly get $300 anyway. He agrees just wants to get over it and I know have the truck.

So I replaced the tire, rebuild the card and got it running. It's got kind of a miss that disappears at higher RPM. The first time I took the wife out for a drive it almost didn't make it back. The fuel was bad in the tank and clogged the filter. new filter and she was up and running. The fuel guage stopped working and found the float had failed, so bought a new float and that's working. Someone before my friend had modified the exhaust to have side pipes that was way to load do I changed it back to a more original under the truck single exhaust.

I found a leak coolant leak one day and found one of the soft plugs had rotted out. Replaced all of the plugs on the side of the block. But when I pulled the intake and exhaust manifolds to do the repair found the exhaust manifold was cracked. Luckily found a good but used unit on the interweb.

She pretty much has been my wood truck, as I don't want to beat the heck out of my daily driver. I believe the truck has been in the county much of it's life, as I have found it has been owned by several people from one end of the county to the other.

4. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

So after all the work on the truck are you going to keep it?

56panelford likes this.
  5. kjvforme Vet Zone Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Oh heck yeah, I love it. She may be ugly but eventually I will do the body work and paint her.

56panelford likes this.
  6. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

Cool, I cant wait to see it done.

56panelford likes this.
  7. kjvforme Vet Zone Oregon Chapter Founding Member

So where you from?

56panelford likes this.
  8. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

I'm 25 miles south of San Francisco, Ca

56panelford likes this.
  9. kjvforme Vet Zone Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Spent some time up in Humbolt County last year fighting a wildland fire.

56panelford likes this.
  10. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

that is north of lake county right? Are you a firefighter?

56panelford likes this.
  11. kjvforme Vet Zone Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yep going on eight years.

56panelford likes this.
  12. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

I salute you sir!!

56panelford likes this.
  13. kjvforme Vet Zone Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Thanks got into it after I retired from the Coast Guard.

56panelford likes this.
  14. kjvforme Vet Zone Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Well I took pity on the truck and cleaned out my fire fighting gear from inside the cab. I'm sick of not being able to drive it down the road. With spring coming up the apple trees will need to be trimmed and I use the old girl to haul the clippings.

56panelford likes this.
  15. kjvforme Vet Zone Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Took her for a trip up to Seneca, OR. My father-in-law had a king size bed that he wanted gone, so have truck will haul. From where I live it about a 2500 ft elevation change. So one way it a pull up the hill. It is also driving through the devastation of the Canyon Creek Complex. She did great, had to drop her into 3rd as we climbed up the hill on Hwy 395 S, but the speed limit was down around 35-45 on the corners. I'm amazed that the 223 still gets her down the road at 60MPH., I'm starting to notice a rumble, and am concerned that a main bearing might be failing, or heck maybe I have the idle to low. it starts up cold with the choke pulled out with ease. When is warm is starts on the first turn of the key. Ford did well on the engine when they produced the 223. It's running a Autolite 1100 carburetor that was rebuilt when I first got it. I need to find a adapter fitting for the side of the carb for the distributor vacuum line to make it right.

56panelford and whomrig like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >