1965 F100 with 240CI 6L--Electrical issue

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Marine EOD, Jun 6, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Marine EOD

I hope that there are some very smart guys on here that can help me out.

I've been rebuilding my '65 truck for the past two years. I have replaced over $8,000 worth of parts on this vehicle. It runs pretty good, but I'm having a few electrical issues that I can't figure out. Here is some background information:
    I have replaced the alternator, voltage regulator, starter solenoid, and battery cables.
    All of my lights and other switches work EXCEPT for the following:
    1) The left running light/blinker has constant 12v going to it, even with the lights off. So, I disconnected it.
    2) The horn does not work, even though I've replaced the contact switch in the steering column, and the relay.

The charging system is NOT charging, and appears to have a draw somewhere. When I hook up the charger in the morning it has lost 5-6% of it's charge. If I drive it to town and back (about 60 miles) the battery looses about 25-30%. I have checked the voltage on the battery (not running) and it shows 12.84v. With the engine running I'm seeing 12.44v on the terminals. I checked the output on the rear of the alternator and I am only seeing the 12.44v there as well (even though this is a brand new alt.). I should be seeing 13-14v! Finally, the red alternator "dummy light" is on when the engine is running. I am stumped by this and need help. I thought I was fairly mechanically/electrically inclined, but I'm stumped by this one! If you think you need additional information to try to diagnose, please let me know.

Please help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Brad Garfield

IMG_0433.JPG #ad

IMG_0443.JPG #ad

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Unplug the voltage regulator. Does the light go out or the voltage change?

3. Marine EOD

the light did not go out, nor did the voltage change.
    Thank you for replying!

4. iicap

Marine EOD, Welcome to FTZ! Nice Truck! On all your problems, have you downloaded and printed out the wiring schematic for you 1965 F-100. If not, do so.
    Try, https://fordification.info/tech/schematics_h.htm

Do verify all the wires going on the alternator are on correct terminals. If the wires on the regulator still have the plastic clip, that the wires appear correct in the clip by their color. If your wire ends have been repaired by someone before you, test each wire for continuity with a DVOM between the Alt clip and the wires that go on the alt. Test all wires while Disconnected from the regulator and alternator.

Also You appear to have an insulator block on fender well ahead of the Starter Solenoid. Don't think ALL trucks had that. What are the 2 wires on it??
    The heavy wire from alternator (Bat or Arm terminal), is it going to the Batt side of the solenoid or the insulator block??
    The Red Idiot light should be on, Because it isn't charging, so long as it goes off when key is off.
    Also a picture view from over top of the valve cover, looking at the solenoid and all the wires would be great.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >