1965 ford f100 with 302

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by Ncrattler, Sep 17, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Ncrattler

Need assistance, have too much play in steering. I've changed out the shocks, tierods,king pins,steering box, alignment, and still have play in steering. It also does not want to return to center after turning either direction. I have wide tires all the way around but not sure if that would cause a problem like this. While driving straight it seems to stay centered but least amount of movement and it wants to sway. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

If the tires are not radials, they'll tend to wander especially if they are wider.

Check pre-load on the steering box.

Not returning well to center and wander is often an indication of toe in alignment isn't set properly.

3. Ncrattler

I had it aligned twice, second time they said castor is out about 3 degrees. It's a twin beam and I cannot find anyone in this area to bend the beam. Old school..but don't thing 3 degrees would cause that kind of problem. I'm changing out front wheels next week and see what happens. Will let ya know

4. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

Did you inspect the steering box for excessive play? I am pretty sure there is a way to adjust that if the box is not worn too bad.

5. Ncrattler

NEW BOX.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >