1966 F-100 steering column glory

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by For-dragon, Jan 11, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. For-dragon

Hello all. It's been months since I've been able to post (pregnant wife, now new baby girl = no free time) and although I've been on a few other forums a bit in the past I'm still new to this one. I know several of you guys bounce around forums and I am in need of your sage wisdom.

With the help of a great Ford-Trucks member I purchased my F-100 a few years ago and she runs well and drives well overall, but I've noticed a few issues I am fairly confident are either interrelated or a sign of a progressive problem. As the heading indicates everything is related to the steering column (or I'm totally wrong), which I know nothing about really.

Facts:
    1966 F-100, upgraded to power steering and brakes
    350W from an 1980 F-150

The first issue I noticed was that when I made turns (beyond a normal curve in the road), the transmission selector will shift into another position as the wheel turns...D into N or OD depending upon the direction. It was a quirk, sure, but it's a '66 who cares. I can remedy this by holding the gear selector lever and simply turning while holding it in place and things are fine...other than needing a third hand. For the record, this does also happen when in reverse and will shift into N, thankfully so far not into P.

The second issue I noticed is that the turn signal canceller did not seem to work every time, then at all, and it will (obviously) remain on after a turn and once the wheel has been re-set to forward. Simple fix by manually cancelling, but less fun to drive as these things mount.

Number three, is that around eight months ago the horn stopped working. This did occur around the same time that my generator went bad, but with it replaced and all electrical up and working again the horn still does not work. Less annoying, but not right.

I have several assumptions, but we know what that does. It would make sense that these things are somewhat related, but before I go changing to much, i'd like some suggestions or guidance as I have nothing other than an exploded diagram and i'd rather not destroy anything I don't need to. Any/all advice is appreciated. I can provide pictures/answer questions to the best of my knowledge when able.

Tags:
  2. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

based on your description, i would take a look at the innards of the steering column, see what may be loose or worn out.
    and take pics

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I would be interested in what column you have. Don and Bill will correct me, but I think your manual box steering column was all one piece with the box

Anyway you look at it, I think your column is not mounted properly
    Post some pictures of the column and how it's mounted please, and also how it hooks to the steering box under the hood

4. For-dragon

Thanks guys. It's a dark/wet day here today, but i'll try to get photos up either tonight or tomorrow. ... These days it all depends upon if naps are observed or missed.

5. For-dragon

Found this on my phone, more to come.

00G0G_5Fdo2OU261R_600x450.jpg #ad

6. For-dragon

Sorry for the delay fine gents. I've included several photos, which hopefully cover the requested/necessary areas. I'm not always 100% on my truck anatomy, so if I missed something, let me know.

I'm also not certain where to begin in terms of the innards examination. Are we talking pulling the wheel off and looking at the horn ring, etc. or disconnecting the shaft and looking at connections there? 20180113_165034.jpg #ad

P.S. - No, I didn't do the awesome spray job.

7. For-dragon

20180113_165143.jpg #ad
    20180113_165207.jpg #ad
    20180113_165221.jpg #ad
    Under the hood.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  8. BKW Founding Member

No 351W's until 1981. Did you replace the steering column when you swapped in P/S?

What type of P/S did you swap in, from another truck, or?

Unless you swapped in an AOD, your A/T does not have O/D

Underneath the horn ring (or button) on the outside of the steering wheel is the horn brush and insulator.

The brush contains a thin copper wire w/a coil spring. The wire snaps, the horn no longer blows.

9. For-dragon

Thanks Bill. Interesting. Years ago you helped me figure out what year C6 transmission I had over on FTE (PGD-BE9 / EOTP = 1980 F100/150 302 C6) and knowing it was a 351W I guess I got it in my head they were from the same year. Is it worth it to figure out the engine year?

I honestly only have the info on the truck I've been able to discover. I know someone helped me break down the VIN at some point, but lost that info when my last phone expired (time to keep a hard copy) and haven't found that on FTE yet, but I'm sure I will. The consensus at the time was that the original door was changed as I don't have an original VIN plate, just a blank plate with dremmel engraving.

I've had the truck for four years-ish and the PS/PB combo was done before the previous owner bought her and he had no idea on much of anything; nice guy though, haha.

Any code location/etc. to help identify the power upgrades as stock/upgrade/added in 19--?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >