1967 F-100 4x4 Restomod build

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Builds' started by 67nukeford, Apr 25, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 67nukeford Founding Member

Well, I"ve been asked to post up the build thread on my 67. So, here goes nothing! Started with a nice little black 67, 300 i-6 and 4 speed, found it in Wyoming. It had been parked for ten years, after shelling the clutch. So, began the tear down.
    View attachment 5464 #ad
    It's already 5 years in the making, but here is my 67 F-100 4x4 build. The plan is to install an 89 351W and ZF-5 5 speed, AC, a 79 dash, and front disc. The cab will be from a 68, and the box from a 69. Here is how she started. Found her in Wyoming, in 1998, drove her for a year, until the clutch shelled in 99, then she was parked.

Tags:
    zip likes this.
  2. 67nukeford Founding Member

56panelford likes this.
  3. 67nukeford Founding Member

022%20(2)aa.jpg #ad
    005%20(8).jpg #ad
    017ee.JPG #ad
    019.JPG #ad
    020.JPG #ad
    11223.jpg #ad
    1231`123.jpg #ad
    003a.jpg #ad
    005%20(2).jpg #ad

I used two engine stands to support the frame like a rotisserie. After powerwashing, sandblasted the frame, coated it with POR-15, then shot Eastwood's chassis black on it. I had the rear springs power coated. The front springs are for a 2 1/2 inch lift, along with the rear blocks. This front axle actually won't be used, I'll be replacing it with one out of a 79 with disc brakes.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  4. 67nukeford Founding Member

030aa.jpg #ad
    029aa.jpg #ad
    003%20%286%29aa.jpg #ad
    Time to start on the cab. The one I had was in pretty bad shape. Floors, rockers, and cab corners were shot. Time to find a replacement. My buddy Randy had one in his salvage yard, a 68, so I bought the whole truck from him.

5. 67nukeford Founding Member

078.JPG #ad
    001a.JPG #ad
    076.JPG #ad
    016aabb.jpg #ad
    The 68 cab wasn't perfect, it needed mounts and cab corners, but the rockers and floors were in pretty good shape. I built a roll around dolly, and then sandblasted the underside

6. 67nukeford Founding Member

002 (5).JPG #ad
    003 (5).JPG #ad
    mounts.jpg #ad
    004 (7).JPG #ad
    003.JPG #ad
    028.JPG #ad
    026.JPG #ad
    027.JPG #ad
    mounts1.JPG #ad
    1856.JPG #ad
    Started with the mounts. Drilled out the spotwelds to get the old mounts off, then had a couple of small spots to fix in the floor, before installing new mounts. I bought the mounts from Dennis Carpenter. I had fitment issues with the first set, they were not all the way together when DC spot welded them. DC sent me another set, that hadn't been welded together yet, so I could better fit them. Coated the underside of the floor under the mounts with POR-15, and weld through primer.

7. 67nukeford Founding Member

006.JPG #ad
    007cc.JPG #ad
    013kk.JPG #ad
    012kk.JPG #ad
    So, originally, I was going to go with a 390, and the NP four speed. But, I want to drive this thing, a lot. So, knowing I wouldn't get squat for mileage out of a 390, I've decided to attack in a different direction. The plan now is to go with a modern (somewhat modern, anyway) driveline of a 351W and a ZF-5 5 speed manual. I managed to score this 89 F-250 which had both.

8. 67nukeford Founding Member

010jj.JPG #ad
    The difference in size between the 67's transfer case and the 89's is staggering!

9. 67nukeford Founding Member

cab%20support1.JPG #ad
    cab%20support2.JPG #ad
    cab%20support3.JPG #ad
    rocker1%20(2).jpg #ad
    rocker2.jpg #ad
    rocker3.jpg #ad
    rocker4.jpg #ad
    rocker5.jpg #ad
    cab%20support4.JPG #ad
    cab%20support6.JPG #ad
    Another issue with this cab, was the floor support on the driver's side, it was pretty roached. DC makes a repair piece for these. So, cut out the old, and had to make a small repair on the rocker where it had rotted through. Then, welded in the patch piece.

10. 67nukeford Founding Member

IMG_8725.jpg #ad
    IMG_5442.jpg #ad
    IMG_2888.jpg #ad
    Since the bottom of the cab was done, time to shoot it all in epoxy.

11. 67nukeford Founding Member

Picture 030.jpg #ad
    Time to build a new dolly. Whipped one up, and set the cab on it upright.

12. 67nukeford Founding Member

cabvent3.JPG #ad
    cabvent2.JPG #ad
    cowl3.jpg #ad
    cowl1.jpg #ad
    Because I'm a lunatic, I've decided that the cowl has to come off of this cab. After removing the side vent boxes, I can see a ton of rust under there. I've seen a few other guys do these trucks up nice, only to have rust pop up in places that they didn't clean out. Not going to be the case here. So, with my spotweld bit attached to the drill, I went to it. Oh, and since I'm planning on using a 79 dash, the cowl would have to come off anyway. So, off I went.....

13. 67nukeford Founding Member

dash2.jpg #ad
    dash1.jpg #ad
    dash4.jpg #ad
    Speaking of the dash, finished removing the 67 one, and fitted up the 79 dash. The 67 is a single piece dash, but the 79 has 2 sections. They are very close in width, the 79 is a little taller that the 67 dash. So, I'll have to be mindful when setting up the steering column to ensure its at the right angle.

14. 67nukeford Founding Member

cabpanel4.JPG #ad
    cabpanel2 .JPG #ad
    cabpanel1.JPG #ad
    Another area I want to clean up the rust, is the panel around the back window, I can see rust under it. So, back to drilling out another million spot welds.

15. 67nukeford Founding Member

cabpanel6.JPG #ad
    cabpanel7.JPG #ad
    cabpanel8.JPG #ad
    After cleaning of the rust from both the cab, and the rear panel, I coated both in Eastwoods rust encapsulator, and then welded the panel back on.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >