1967 f-250 coolant reservoir?

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by LeftOne, Jan 24, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. LeftOne

Can anyone tell me if my 1967 f-250 352 FE should have a coolant reservoir? Did this model year just not have one?
    Also, should I be filling the radiator all the way up, I leave some head space?
    I filled the radiator and it keeps pushing coolant out of the overflow. It also has a brand new radiator cap.

2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

They used a blue plastic bag for overflow, as an option that most trucks didn't come with. The F600+ heavy duty came with a plastic tank, and that's extremely hard to find - people are selling them for upwords of $300.

The bags are still available, because some cars used them and there are reproductions. They aren't terribly functional, can burst or harden and crack over time, so you mostly see those on show trucks. If you're looking for functional your best bet is a universal tank.

3. iicap

When using no overflow tank, the coolant should be about 1.5-2" below the neck COLD. If you overfill it will push out the excess when completely warmed up and find it own correct level. After that checking cold, whenever you check your oil, should find the coolant at the same level, if no leaks or seepage.

4. LeftOne

Thanks y'all.
    Iicap, this is what I was figuring to be the case but couldn't find that information on the Internet or in my Chilton manual.
    FTZ haic, thank you for the information, I would like to clarify something about this though. Is the blue bag that you speak of a separate bag from the windshield washer fluid reservoir is it the same bag used for different purposes?

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You know, you're right on that. It's the washer bag I'm thinking of. It's been 15 years since I had my 67 and I got that mixed up. Sorry about that.

iicap likes this.
  6. LeftOne

No need to be sorry. Currently it has a peak antifreeze bottle as an overflow reservoir. I think I have seen some later bump side models with bottles. Otherwise, a universal bottle.
    Thanks guys!

iicap likes this.
  7. iicap

Using the expansion tank/bag is the way to go. Getting one from a bump or dent side will look appropriate. Not sure but the plastic tanks may have served double duty, one portion coolant, the other W Washer fluid. You should use the radiator cap from a truck with tank/ bag. As the coolant warms up and expands/pushes, the coolant to the tank, it also has to let the coolant go back to the radiator as it cools. Not being technical, the no tank system allows the coolant to become aerated to a degree. So the coolant becomes loaded with mi-nute air bubbles. It is better that the coolant is not aerated, as to carrying heat away from the engine.

8. BKW Founding Member

Excepting 1971/74 F100 & Econoline with the 240 1V I-6, Ford did not offer a coolant recovery reservoir until 1980 for trucks, Econolines, Bronco's.

The Blue (or Black or Red) bags were used as a windshield washer reservoir for 1953/67 Passenger Cars, 1961/67 F100/350's & Econolines, 1966/67 Bronco's.

Windshield washers were an extra cost option or a dealer installed accessory, so many vehicles didn't have them.

I've never heard of or seen a windshield washer bag used as a coolant recovery reservoir.

The bags are reproduced, there's at least 4 different types.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  9. Oldiesask

My '67 has a coolant reservoir with the Ford logo, I believe it was always there. Likely, it would have been a dealership offering, as opposed to a factory installed option. I have no pictures at the moment, but I think it may even have a C7T_ part no.

10. BKW Founding Member

Ford offered a universal fitzall coolant recovery reservoir at the parts counter in 1970, it could be used on everything.

The same reservoir (without the Ford logo) could be bought from auto parts stores for less.

D0AZ-8522-A .. Radiator Coolant Recovery Kit

11. BKW Founding Member

Double post

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >