1973 F250 rear brake drums - Can't find them?

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by Sturdei, May 9, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Sturdei

We recently purchased a slightly used '73 F250 for my son to fix up, but we can't find rear brake drums. It appears to have the 12.12" x 2" brakes, and we have found all the springs, hardware, shoes, new cylinders, etc. The only things we CANNOT seem to find are the drums.

Everyone seems to think the Duralast D8790 is the correct part, but those are the 2.5" drums and they're way too big for this truck.

Any ideas how to find these elusive drums?
    Looks like FOMOCO 88540 (possibly 86548 or 86540) on the casting, but that doesn't help much.

Vehicle tag shows:
    F250YLQ21422
    133" wheelbase B color, model F250, body 2 4, transmission "C", axle "38
    It's a 59.L (360ci) V8 with 2BBL carb, no air conditioning, no power steering. Standard cab, long bed, 2WD with the Dana 60 axle (3.73 ratio) and "standard duty" brakes.

[​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Tags:
  2. iicap

3. Sturdei

Thanks iicap, I keep finding the "front" drums showing 12.12" x 2", but the pictures don't quite match up with mine. That center number is definitely a "5" as judged by the two drums having similar casting flash around the numbers. Both drums have a clear 8-54- on them. The last number is not cast very well on either drum, and could be a 0 or an 8, but they could also be a 9 or 6. Hard to say.

Overall, the thickness of the drums is 3-3/8" as it sat on the tailgate. The friction surface is 2-1/2", which made me think it was a 12" x 2.5" drum. But the 8790 castings are way too thick/tall, and the maximum dimension is too small at 12.09" versus the 12.21" maximum cast into these old drums.

The summit racing link appears to be the front drums. Those look like they're too skinny and won't orient the drum in the correct spot against the backing plate.

Thank you for the link, but I think I'm still stuck.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Have you tried Rockauto.com? For service parts on older stuff they are my goto source.

captchas likes this.
  5. Sturdei

Yep, I spent a few hours browsing every Ford truck from 1967 through 1979 to see if any of them listed a 12-1/8" x 2" rear drum. The only ones I found were listed as front brakes on a Dana 44. But these need to go on a Dana 60 rear axle.

6. iicap

Your Quote, "We recently purchased a slightly used '73 F250 for my son to fix up, but we can't find rear brake drums. It appears to have the 12.12" x 2" brakes, and we have found all the springs, hardware, shoes, new cylinders, etc. The only things we CANNOT seem to find are the drums." I'm apparently missing something here. You SAID, " It appears to have the 12.12" X 2" brakes" in your 1st paragraph, 2nd sentence??? When I see the picture of the drum with #, I see 86648, granted I'm not there with the drum to see in person as you are. So I went with a #, that you DIDN'T, mention and as I searched that #, I came up with a drum from sumitt that has the dimensions of 12.12" x 2"???? So I'm missing something I guess. Your drum shows it to have a dome to it, laying flat, wheel side up. Sometimes rear brakes, same model truck, have different width rear shoes available, depending on the GVW of the truck. E.G. my 66 F-250 is a 7500# GVW. A standard 66 F-250 is rated at 5000# GVW. My truck would/could have a 1/4" t0 1/2" wider shoe at the rear. If the 2 1/2' drum you mention are flat with no apparent dome the extra wear surface would be outward and that drum may not interfere with you backing plate and possibly be used with the narrower shoe.

7. iicap

Your response in Post #5. You can have the same brake set up on a Dana 44 series and 60 series axles. Your concern here is F-250 with 8 hole wheels. You didn't mention if Son's truck is 2 WD or 4WD. Did you do a front brake job? Does it by chance have the same brakes front and rear?

8. Sturdei

We haven't taken the front apart just yet, so I'm not sure what we have on the front. It has the I-beam axle on the front. It is a 2WD.

When we picked up the truck, the back wheels were locked up. After we got the drums off, we saw the shoes had rusted to the drums. Makes sense why they wouldn't turn. =)

When I'm looking online at the pictures of front drums, they all seem to be absolutely flat, or the lugs are slightly inset. Overall thickness is stated as 3" or 3.06" on these, and every one I've seen states that it fits the front axle.

The rear drums have the lug pad at 3-3/8", which makes me think the drums will have a 3/8" gap between the backing plate and the drum.

The existing drums have that groove that meets up with the backing plate so no mud or crap gets inside the drums. I'm afraid if I get the "front" drum, that it'll have too much gap and we'll have nothing but trouble with the rear brakes.

My other thought was adding a 3/8" spacer between the drum and the wheel hub, but it seems more like a bandaid. That, and I don't want to buy longer lug bolts to compensate for the spacer.

Maybe if I try upgrading to the 12"x2.5" brakes then I wouldn't have these issues. But the drums are almost 5" thick, so I'd have to change hubs too?

No idea why it could be this hard. I'm clearly missing something. Might be time to order a single front drum and give it a test fit. Beats wasting another month fighting this.

9. iicap

10. Sturdei

That's awesome, iicap!

The GVW is 6200lbs, so that matches right up to the info in the thread you linked. Having obsolete drums sucks, but at least we have a part number now!

Even better, I'm in Franklinton, NC just about 15 miles away from GRIFFIN FORD in Louisburg, NC. Go figure! Though they probably don't have the drum anymore, it's still funny they're so close.

11. Sturdei

Thanks guys. I now found yoyoparts.com carries them in bulk and offers the following cross reference list:

Cross Interchange Parts
    Brand Sku Type Relevance
    BENDIX PDR0277 Brake Drum Direct Details»
    QUALIS 8827 Brake Drum Direct Details»
    FORD C9TZ1109T Brake Drum Direct Details»
    WAGNER BD60361 Brake Drum Indirect Details»
    RAYBESTOS 1663 Brake Drum Indirect Details»
    NAPA 640-1231 Brake Drum Indirect Details»
    FORD D1UZ-1126-B Brake Drum Indirect Details»
    VIPAR X21551 Brake Drum Indirect Details»
    PEP BOYS 8827G Brake Drum Indirect Details»
    AUTOSPECIALTY AD-8511 Brake Drum Indirect Details»
    CENTRIC 122.65011 Brake Drum Indirect Details»
    DELCO 177-276 Brake Drum Indirect Details»
    DELCO 177-279 Brake Drum Indirect Details»
    BENDIX 140277 Brake Drum Indirect Details»
    AIMCO 8827 Brake Drum Indirect Details»
    AIMCO 8827C Brake Drum

12. iicap

That is great info you have found, thanks. And I sorta forgot, your 73 should have disc brakes on the front, not drum, Duh to me.

13. Sturdei

I was hoping for disc brakes, but I'm embarrassed to say we haven't even looked yet. We've been fighting these rear brakes for so long now, we haven't gotten much further. We haven't even fired up the engine since installing the new carburetor. Haven't been through the fuel system or anything. I wanted to make sure it rolls and STOPS before we got too far along.

14. davidt

15. davidt

try Drum Gardens in so. calif.. I think they are in Lomita.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >