1977 F250 460 Intake Gasket

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by Michael, Jun 27, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Michael

How do you tell which intake manifold gasket to get for a 460? Seen two different types. One with steel pan and one without.

Thank you,
    Michael

Tags:
  2. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

The steel pan is the better design BUT is designed for the stock intake manifold and may not clear an aftermarket manifold.

3. Michael

The intake is a Eldebrock Street Master 460. Doing research, it came out in the 70's. So my best bet would be no steel pan, I think.

4. Michael

Replaced the intake gasket today. Used a FEL PRO gasket set and opted to use the cork front and rear seals with black RTV blobs sealing in the corners.
    Also both the head and intake gasket was sprayed with copper sealing agent to make the gasket stick
    The intake is a Edelbrock Street Master.
    The intake was torqued to 28 Ft Lbs.

5. captchas

most techs today throw away the end corks and lay down a nice thick bead of black silicon. never seen another blow out the cork and leak since we started

6. Michael

Got the intake on yesterday and started up the engine. Within a few seconds a intermittent rattling/knocking sound came from the right side valve cover area. I shut it down and restarted again, same noise. Sorta sounded like something was getting tossed around inside. I took everything apart expecting to find a nut or washer inside. With bore scope looked inside the intake runners and found nothing. My brother said it could be a bad lifter noise. I am going to install new lifters and also going to replace the timing chain.

7. captchas

to me,a person who spent 55 years working in auto repair, it sounds to me your throwing good money unto bad. ,please take your time,talk with a knowledgeable tech before you just throw parts at a issue. if you have bad lifters chances are you also have a bad camshaft. a 460 is a old motor, if it hasn't had a major rebuild it's past time to do so.
    disassemble that motor LOOK at the parts,measure BE SURE your replacing what is really bad, before you waste more money

8. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

This is very good advice

9. Michael

Found five lifters that would not compress or pump up, Now looking to replace the leaky Holley 600 CFM with a Carter. This sits atop a Edelbrock Street Master Intake. I am thinking a Carter 650 would be fine. Suggestions?

10. captchas

as to bad lifters make sure that cam is still good as when one goes bad so does the other. carb wise ford's run best on holleys. leave that carter for gm's and mopars.

11. Michael

Pulled the starter today and the inspection plate on the bell housing. Rummaged around the bell housing with a magnet and found metal shavings, little chunks of metal and a bigger piece of thin metal. The mangled metal looks like it had a spot-weld on it. Put starter back on and fired her up. The sound was still their. Going to remove the transmission from engine and slide it back to take a closer look.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >