1979 Ford F350 Camper Special

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by wwasson6, Aug 28, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. wwasson6

I'm thinking about selling my 1979 F350 Camper Special, V-8, 460. The engine runs but I think there's an electrical issue happening. I bought it from someone who rebuilt it as a project with his son and haven't had time to do much with it. Connecting a new battery to it caused sparks, smoke and a small fire so it's not running at the moment. Was wondering what you would pay for it. I've got someone looking at it and am not sure what a fair value would be.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Assuming the electrical issue get solved, the AC works and it runs well, around here that'll go for about $2,000 to $4,000 but it would need to be cleaned up first. Its really hard to ask prices and have it right because prices vary so much regionally. Facebook Marketplace is a good place to see what they are going for locally... keeping in mind that a lot of people think their truck is worth a lot more than it will actually sell for!

3. wwasson6

Thank you. It doesn't have AC at the moment and I hear you on the other points. Thank you!

4. iicap

Passenger side battery box would be standard, Drivers side probably option. I'd move that battery to the passenger side and make sure the cables to the drivers side are completely disconnected and touching nothing. Making sure all in the truck is turned OFF. Then hook positive to the battery and check see if sparking is gone when just touching the Neg cable to the neg post. Just a suggestion to start in you search for the short(s) Cap

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  5. wwasson6

Thank you. I did that and the starter relay sparked, smoked then caught fire. After I blew it out I decided I just don't have it in me (physically or financially) to fix it up. I have someone interested in buying it as is so was just wondering what a fair price might be.

6. Oldiesask

I believe the super camper special had 2 batteries, the left should only power the camper. As stated, move the battery to the right side and dis-connect the isolator, which may have been what fried.
    The SCS is a bit of an oddball, it has a longer wheel base and larger rear cutouts, which may not appeal to some, and prices vary by location, so I won't guess about value, but a non runner will never be close to a driver in price.

iicap likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >