f250 vs f350 reasons and costs

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by fomocolife, Dec 11, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. fomocolife

anybody know if a f250 and f350 are any different in costs to insure or register?
    il google for the towing / hauling differences
    anybody know ( not guess) how much heavier a dually is over a srw truck?
    a few 100?? with stock steel wheels maybe
    im " thinking"
    curious as i want one to tow with on ocasion i like the stability and look of the dually set up but not sure about the weight penalty and extra tire costs
    thankyou

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Would depend how you tag and weight it

My e 450 is weighted at 15,000 and combinated at 10,000 for a trailer, for a total of 25,000 lbs
    That requires commercial insurance, even though it is a private truck
    One of my f 350's is weighted at 10,000 lbs for the truck only, and that includes trailer weight. It is insured by private insurance
    You need to check the local laws, and what you plan to do with the truck

3. fomocolife

yeah i think its a bit of a grey area comlicated issue
    i have read that heavier gvw trucks actually legally can carry less than lower gvw trucks
    but i have also read a lot of bull online too
    plus the other day i was reading some posts to a 16 year old kid building a truck discussing towing with conbined weight of 30k
    jeez ( rolls eyes)

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

LOL
    Best thing to do, is decide what you are going to do with the truck,and seee what the laws of your state require

Getting pulled over by the DOT is ot a lot of fun if you are in the wrong

5. fomocolife

spoke to a guy last week who had a hot shot set up WITH papers from dmv to state he was under 26k gross and he got pulled by dot and they wouldnt have it and had to argue in court
    he got a $100 or so fine but his insurance went crazy and caused him allsorts of problems.

maybe because he was hauling for reward without a cdl?? i cant remember the full details

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Probably running without a medical card
    anything over 10,000 lbs commercial requires one, ANYTHING over 14,000 requires one

Simple medical exam. stupid to chance not running with one

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

How much are you planning to tow with it?

8. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

I think the medical card thing is only for commercial use. If it's a personal use vehicle, which should include campers, no medical card is needed. If so, then all of my friends are in violation.

fomocolife likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >