Intermittent stalling/no start

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Lucky, Apr 25, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Lucky

I’m trying to diagnose this problem on my 1997 F250 HD with 5.8L.

When I purchased the truck less than a year ago I replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, cables and coil cap.

For as long as I have owned it, I noticed that after it has been running for awhile and come to a full stop it will want to stall. The engine sputters a bit and the oil pressure gauge will start pinning from 0 to mid. If I press the gas to increase rpms the oil gauge returns to normal.

Wife drove the truck and it stalled for her while driving and at stops. Never happened to me but she uses the AC and I don’t.

The truck had some codes which indicated O2 sensors so I replaced those (3 of them) with Chinese sensors. I also cleaned the MAF and replaced the PCV for good measure. Cleared codes and they have not returned.

Wife drove the truck again and had a stall while driving home. She got it started and made it home. After that I had a no start condition. Checked for spark, good. Checked fuel in Schroeder valve and it shot out. Did this twice. Truck then started.

Wife drove it to work. Wouldn’t start. Checked the Schroeder again and had fuel but wouldn’t start. I left the key in the ignition and tried to start when the fuel pump kicked on the second time and it started.

Wife takes it to work again and parks on an incline. No start. Backs down the incline until she is flat and it started. Stalled on the way home. I drove it around after that with no AC and no stall.

Just got in it after sitting for a few days and it started on second try. Sitting in park at idle it feels like it’a idling a little rough and occasionally sputters a bit. Still no codes but definitely does not feel right.

Based on some research maybe the ignition control module could be going bad? Does this sound like a weak fuel pump?

Thanks for the help.

Tags:
  2. smokinbutnotbroken

Does it start back up with little issue after a solid cooldown period? Our last f-150 was a 5.8 and had an issue where a bronze or brass collar or sleeve on the distributor would thermally expand when it soaked a sufficient amount of heat from the engine, thus causing failure of ignition due to no rotation of the distributor. . Repair was frustrating because they dont sell ya rebuild kits had to buy a whole new unit..

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >