1994 460

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by GeJo, Aug 22, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. GeJo

I have a 1994 Damon Intruder with a Ford 460 engine, 70,000 miles and run well until a few days ago. We were getting ready to go on a two week holiday and with out any warning I started the engine, it ran for a few seconds then the "Check Engine" light came on and the engine stopped I did this 3 times. So I down loaded the engine codes and here is what I got when I did the manual code with the blinking Engine light. The following codes came up, 117, 638, 122, 112, 327, 654, 513, 553, 565, 556, 558, 621, 622, 631, 629, 626, and 625. I replaced the 117- ECT Sensor and the 112-AIT. That helped a lot it will run now but rough. I have two questions #1 why should I get so many codes when the engine was running just fine. #2 what should I do next. I would really appreciate any help I can get

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

You need to check your grounds

Pay close attention to the ground for the computer

3. captchas

never seen 17 codes from any car or truck in my 45 years in dealers. like charlie i too would start with checking all the grounds first, then have a pin box test done. that's where each pin at the pcm is checked to where it ends, before throwing in most likely not needed parts.

4. GeJo

Thank you for the reply I will check as you suggest.

5. GeJo

6. GeJo

Thanks for the info I will follow through on that.

7. GeJo

I appreciate your response guys, here is what I have done so far. I replaced the two sensors 117 - ECT and 112 - AIT. Then I found a broken very small red vacuum line and fixed it. Then I had to adjust the idle speed up from 600 RPM to 900. Now it runs very nice and no engine light on until it got up to temperature and started to drive, would not shift right, engine light came on and stalled several times till I got it back to shop. Last time it stalled I coasted into the lot at the shop. It would not start again. The next morning it started, engine light went out as soon as the engine started and run fine and shifted ok for about a minute then engine light came on and started to run rough. I got it moved out of the way so shut it off. The battery terminals look good but I will take them off today and make sure there is no corrosion, I will also check all other grounds as well. Engine code 513-Replace (PCM) internal failure. Also, I can't clear the codes. I am a DIY guy from way back, and always ask questions until I get the job done, how do I do a pin test. Thanks in advance guys.

8. captchas

pin box is a special adapter tool that hooks up to the pcm connector lets you check from each pin to where it ends at what ever.

you can work with a VOM almost like one by using longer leads, say pin 1 at the pcm runs to pin 1 of the coolant sensor . using the VOM you can hit both ends to see if you have a open or short, if OK it will have normal ohms. broken no reading, going from each end to ground will tell you if it is shorted,

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Look at pcm location for water intrusion.

You may have a leak that blew some components in the board.

10. GeJo

Thanks for the info guys I'll see what I can find out.

George

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >