92 f150 xlt extended cab 5.0 doesn't have drive

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Jonnyrocket132, Oct 31, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Jonnyrocket132

I just bought a 92 f150 xlt extended cab with a 302. The transmission has reverse but it doesn't do anything in drive but it does move when I shift it into 1st and 2nd.

I honestly don't know what might be causing it but any help would be appreciated.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

How's the fluid level look when it's warmed up, and in drive (parking brake on)?

3. Jonnyrocket132

the fluid level is good. the guy that I bought it from had recently dropped the transmission pan and replaced the filter. the parking brake cable snapped

4. Jonnyrocket132

this is all that the po did before he ran into this problem witch led him to selling it

1) Front Wheel Bearings 2) Steering Gear box, power steering pump, high and low pressure steering lines 3) wheel bearings, rotors, pads and calipers, master brake cylinder 4) front shocks 5) oil pressure sending unit, serpentine belt, transmission service (drop pan, replace filter, gasket and fluid), serpentine belt replacement 6) lift kit, inner & outer tie rods, drag link, pivot bushings. 7) first transfer case swap, transmission service (replace pan, filter and gasket. Drained torque converter and transmission and replaced fluid) rear brake pads, cylinders, front and rear brake lines 9) second transfer case swap Oil changes every 3 months from May of 2020 to June of 2022.

the po also told me:
    If the truck is in 4 low she’ll drive at 30 miles an hour and 3,000 RPM. I just rebuilt the transfer case on it too. When you first start to drive it everything is fine until you hit overdrive then slow down. Once you low down, the only way to move the truck is to shift into 4 low.

5. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

It sounds like the problem started when the filter was replaced. Drop the pan, remove the flter and check the filter casket as one or more oil passages may be blocked.
    Maybe take it to a transmission shop let them see what is happening

6. Jonnyrocket132

the po told me that the problem started maybe a week after he rebuilt the transfer case. He also took it to a transmission shop and they weren't 100% sure what is going on with it

7. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

You stated you have engagement in reverse but it doesn't do anything in drive but it does move when I shift it into 1st and 2nd.
    This is a symptom of something going on with the valve body, i would see about that.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  8. Jonnyrocket132

Okay I will look into that once I get some more time to work on it.

9. Jonnyrocket132

I forgot to mention that after shifting from 2 to drive while moving and giving it some gas while it is in two wheel drive it feels like it is barely doing anything

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  10. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

OK, let us know the outcome, I would be interested in the fix.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >