1997 F350 Lift Size Help

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Bake19, Apr 23, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Bake19

I purchased a 1997 F350 with 315/75/R16's. I am not sure what size lift is on it, but was told it was a 6" lift. The lift is worn out and I need shocks, so I am going to replace the springs and shocks. I need help figuring out what size lift to purchase, as well as recommendations on a good heavy duty lift. I will be towing.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Tags:
  2. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Looks like a 6" lift. That's not an ideal set up for towing, but anything can be done.

You really need to determine how the lift was done the first time around so you know what all needs replacing. The back is usually just lifted with blocks. Preferably not stacked blocks. A solid block is better for stability. If that's what is there, you shouldn't need to do anything to the rear lift, but do make sure the pinion angle has been corrected at the driveshaft.

For the front, did they use shackles or replacement springs to gain the lift? If they used replacement springs, you'll need to go back that route, or get shackles with your new springs. Of course make sure the front end geometry has been corrected at places like the track bar and pitman arm.

If there's a spring shop around that can custom build leaf springs, I'd start there. Let them look at it and see if they can't help you get a new set of springs that meets what you want.

When you go to buy shocks, your 6" lift is in the front. The back is raised 4" to make it look level, or nose high when you start towing.

3. Bake19

Thanks, the front is just lift springs. The rear has the stock block, a 1.5” block and I assume lift springs. I was told it’s a 6” rough country lift, but there’s other butchered work on the truck, so I don’t believe anything. I’ve dealt with a lot of these old fords, but this is my first with a lift. Not a bad idea about the spring shop. There is a reputable place local. Maybe I’ll just get shocks for now, and then take it to them. I’d like to eliminate the non-stock block in the rear.

4. IDMooseMan Vet Zone TOTM Winner

It sounds like you may not be certain on what was actually done to lift your truck. Since it is difficult to know for sure, you might consider taking the truck to a Ford Dealership shop and have them take a look at what is underneath your truck. They can probably make suggestions and/or tell you what is "wrong" with your truck's lift. Since you're towing, you might also consider going with a smaller lift, or put it back to factory ride height. That way, at least, you would know for certain what was done and be confident that your truck can do what you want it to do.

5. Bake19

No offense, but I don’t need ford to tell me that I have lift springs and an extra block in the rear, along with lift springs in the front. All shackles are in the stock configuration. Just looking for a guess on the size lift, and a recommendation on a solid company to order the lift from. Obviously stock springs would be the best for towing. It’s not primarily going to be a tow rig, but I would like to maintain a stock GVWR with a quality spring. Like I said, I’m not new to these trucks, just new to lifts.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >