1997 Ford Expedition XLT Wheel Stud Replacement

Discussion in 'The Fabricators Corner' started by ryan_ri, Jan 30, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. ryan_ri

Hello Everyone,
    My name is Ryan and I recently acquired a 1997 Ford Expedition XLT. I want to know if there is any other safe way to re-install a broken wheel stud without messing with the differential and all that good stuff? I heard of people grinding off the tip of the new stud so it can be installed so the shaft does not have to be pulled just enough to make clearance! There are not threads on the part I need to grind to make clearance, but I am not sure if grinding the stud will compromise the integrity of the steel!

Thanks, and any help will be greatly appreciated!

Tags:
  2. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Welcome to the Zone Ryan! Very simple fix. You can "pull" the stud in from the outside. Put the nut on backwards and tighten it down. It will pull the new stud into place.

56panelford likes this.
  3. ryan_ri

Thanks Fabman,
    I was wondering if I can re-install a wheel stud (new) without pulling out the shaft from the differential (Pin Bolt, Pin, slide shaft)), or can I grind off the tip off the new stud so I have enough clearance to re-install the new stud?

Thanks in advance!

4. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

If the stud is longer than the rest, yes you could trim it...

56panelford likes this.
  5. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

There should be an area where there is clearance to put the stud from behind, just need to rotate the axle to get you there. Hello Don..and Ryan..:)

JWC 3 and ryan_ri like this.
  6. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

^^^ This
    Rotate axle shaft until bad stud is at the bottom of radius..............drive out, re-install.

56panelford likes this.
  7. ryan_ri

Thanks again ALL, I appreciate it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    56panelford likes this.
  8. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

We're here to help. Evening Dave and John.............................lol

56panelford likes this.
  9. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

My Dad had a Expy, I remember doing the rear drums on it, I vaguely remember there being a access area at the bottom of radius on backing plate.

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso