2 Qs. Oil brand mixing and Trailer Tow Mirrors

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by iconicbikesrider, Apr 1, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. iconicbikesrider

Greetings to all.
    2020 Lariat Super Duty. I've been using Mobil1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic 5W-20 oil. Now, I'm about to use 5W-20 Motorcraft synthetic blend motor oil which they claim meets Ford WSS-M2C960-A1. Question is, does mixing brands affects oil performance?
    Also, my "Trailer Tow Mirrors" have a squeaky sound when are deployed. Should I go to dealer for that or, which I will definitive prefer, is there a way to lubricate it? I'll rather learn how to keep those mirrors well lubricated since they open and close very often.
    Thank you in advance for your comments and advice.
    Louis

Tags:
  2. ifallsguy

The squeak is almost always from dirt and dust getting into the hinges. I've used Powerblaster to clean and lube the hinges. Lubes with teflon are supposed to be good, but leave a white residue which can be hard to clean up.

Personally, I've never had an issue with changing oils or adding a quart from a different manufacturer. However I always try to use the same weight and type (dinosaur or synthetic) if adding when a quart low and cannot get what I normally use. Right now I'm using Rottela T-6 5-40W in my diesel. Meets Ford's WSS-M2C171-F1 latest spec for oil used in the 6.7L diesel. Ford states that using any other spec will result in non-warranty wear in the engine. Better safe than sorry.

Ford's New Oil Spec For Power Stroke Diesels | Ford Authority

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >