2 Stroke Fuel.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by OldjunkFords, Jan 6, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Got 6 gal. of good 50:1 2-stoke boat gas left over..................What to do?
    Safe to run a gallon or so of 2-stroke on top of a almost full tank of fuel in a modern EFI vehicle until it's used up?
    Used to do this on my carbed vehicles and never cause a single problem.

Opinions?

Tags:
    56panelford likes this.
  2. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

If it is an emissions equipped vehicle, I wouldn't try it. It may plug something up. Just my opinion. Perhaps get a bottle of fuel stabilizer to add to it, then it should be good come spring.

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I put it in my 95 down trucks a gallon at a time, hasn't hurt anything yet.

Think of it as upper valve lube
    in a 19 gallon tank, the 1 gallon will be so diluted, there won't be enough to make any difference

4. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

No problems with the cat-converter or 02 sensors?

56panelford likes this.
  5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

If you only put in a gallon at a time in a 20 gallon tank, you are looking at 1000:1 dilution. Heck, Marvel Mystery oil gas additive instructs far less dilution than that, and I've run MMO numerous times through modern vehicles. That kind of dilution would almost certainly get ignited and burned in the combustion chamber.

I'd guess is it's not really all that different than say a car with high miles that's maybe dropped compression 10 psi or such from ring wear that uses a slight amount of oil between oil changes. It continues to operate fine burning a little oil with no spark plug fouling or O2 sensor problems, at least not until it's put a LOT of miles on them under those conditions.

Cats get very hot, on the order of 1500+ degrees in the honey combs and unless a lot of oil got deposited on them it would burn off quickly. It's lead and sulfur, or an ongoing overly rich condition that kills catalytic converters.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Nope
    Like Ken said above, it would be gone before it got to the cat

Be like farting into a fan

OldjunkFords likes this.
  7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You've never been downwind of one of my farts!

8. Old 86

If you can have burn piles, have a bunch fun and let your pyromaniac tendencies loose.:Danim You can also use it for snow blowers and other small engine powered equipment , but not 2 stroke equipment. Outboard oil is designed to burn at a low temp, where air cooled equipment oil has a much higher operating and burn off temps. I agree with FTZ HAIC, at 1000 to 1 dilution I don't believe it would matter. I'd run it in my stuff! Or hey, you could bundle up real good and go fishing this winter. Old 86

:offtopic: Dustybumpers: I hope your avatar isn't loaded, and I don't mean the cat!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  9. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I have a hard time dumping perfectly good gas on a burn pile.................It's going in the tank.

56panelford likes this.
  10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

He knows how to hit the little circle in the middle

LOL

11. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Update:
    Burned up all the 2-stroke fuel by topping off the full tank of fuel with it, over the course of 3 weeks, NO adverse effects, ran codes on the OBD2 scanner and no codes were stored..............I was betting on a EGR or O2 sensor to show up.

56panelford likes this.
  12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

See.
    You only lubed the valves.

LOL

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >