Ranger 2000 ranger 4.0 4x4

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by fredinct, Jan 6, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. fredinct

asking the experts, I bought this truck about a year ago and I do not think the front wheel drive is working, I know it did not work on a path up a hill. but thought it might have work when not under stress. what would be he best place to start investigating this issue. I am a poor at figuring out these problems but can usual fix things when I know where to look.

thanks

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Does the 4x4 light come on? Is it flashing? On pavement if you turn the wheel all the way does it feel like it's fighting it? If so, it's working. Can you feel/hear it engage/disengage?

First test to see if it's on by jacking the front up just enough to turn one front tire by hand. With the 4x4 engaged you should not be able to turn it.

If it doesn't pass that, then we can move on to other tests like transfer case, hubs, 4wd module

3. fredinct

I drove to work this morning on slippery roads and I am sure it was not working just getting out the end of my driveway to get over the apron hump. but the roads were so slippery it would not have mattered for the rest of the drive. I will try your tests tomorrow. thanks for the reply. and yes the light does come on and does not flash.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Remember 4x4 does not mean all four wheels have power. It means 2 wheels have power, one in the front and one in the back, since they are open differentials. If the road is slick under all four wheels 4x4 won't be any better than 4x2 since the wheels with the least traction in the front and back will spin.

5. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The motor that engages the hubs may be in need of replacement, or the connector may have been pulled off by a branch/debris that was run over.

6. fredinct

thank you for the replies I have not had a chance to dig into this issue yet, between the snow and the cold and my plow truck and tractor being disabled I am up to my elbows in grease and problems and three hours of shoveling snow. I am willingly taking notes and ideas I did try to listen for the front hubs clicking in heard nothing. if I did not have to work for a living I would have a lot more time. but keep the thoughts coming something should work. I will have to find the motor that controls the hubs and go from there. thanks again.

7. fredinct

I was able to crawl under the truck and the motor on the transfer case looks well rusted will try to get back under to take the motor off and see if it will run. the Haynes manual says you can remove the motor leaving it plugged in then have someone turn the switch and you can see if it runs. does that make sense?

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

You can leave it in place, and operate it, you will hear it move.

It may move when out of there, but not have enough power to move when in place
    Use a test light on the wires to make sure you have power if you don't hear it.
    check for blown fuses

9. fredinct

thanks I will try that, may have to ask the wife to come out to the garage, but not sure if I want to lay under a vehicle with her so close to the controls.

10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

LOL, jack it up, put it on jack stands so the tires don't touch

11. fredinct

I was able to hear the transfer case motor operate so that seems to be working, then the company came so ended my explorations, it is tough being nice to people. I need to really test the front drive maybe I will chain the truck to a post and see what spins may need the wife for this but will not stand in front of the truck. Any other tricks to try?

12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

13. fredinct

that would be safer but I need to see if they turn when there is friction, everything would probable work with no weight on the tires

14. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

They will turn with or without friction.
    They will not turn with or without friction.

dustybumpers likes this.
  15. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

True. Never thought of putting it in 4x4, and in gear up in the air, with it not running, and trying to turn it over by hand at each wheel.
    If it don't turn, 4x4 is working!

Great pointer sir!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >