2001 f150 5.4l v8

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by JamesU, Nov 25, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JamesU

so I have an 01 f150 4x4 manual with the 5.4l v8. Well this thing decided to just quit running one morning. Getting fuel and spark but the air intake is not pulling air. Any ideas on what it might possibly be would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Have you been able to pull any codes from the computer?

3. JamesU

Not yet. I don't have a code reader yet. I'm getting one once Thanksgiving is past. With the intake not pulling air, I assumed that it would be a mechanical failure and not electronic. This is the third time I've been asked about codes so I'll pull them once I have the code reader.

4. JamesU

Received my code reader and there are no codes on my PCM. Have replaced all intake manifold gaskets, cam sensor, TPS, MAF, cleaned IAC Valve, checked fuel pressure, checked for spark, both spark and fuel checked out. Also found that my truck has the 4.6l not 5.4l. Completely stumped on this 2000 Ford F150 4.6l.

5. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

James, you said the air intake is not pulling air on your original post.
    Does the starter/engine sound different when cranking, like it is spinning faster than normal yet not starting?
    By the way, how many miles on the engine?

6. JamesU

It isn't spinning faster than normal nor is it being drug down. The starter does need replaced, it's growling which from what I've been able to find just means its old and just about worn out. When I replaced the intake gaskets it wasn't pulling any air into the motor, now it does but still won't run. I have been working on this truck steady for a couple weeks and found yesterday that when I hold the throttle wide open it'll try and fire up and run. Its beginning to make me believe that timing may have jumped.

7. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

yes, maybe the timing has jumped

8. JamesU

Whomrig, do you by chance know what other motors will interchange and bolt up to the M5OD-R2 manual transmission? I have been researching and digging on this idea but have yet to find a decent interchangeability chart. I found a '99 crown vic with the 4.6l with the police interceptor and am curious to know if it would fit with minimal fabrication.

9. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

James, sorry I dont know the interchangeability.

10. JamesU

I appreciate your help and advice anyway. Thank you! I'll eventually find some info just got to keep digging.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >