2001 Ford Expedition

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by asweetsir, Dec 16, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. asweetsir

I have an unusual problem with my Expedition. The interior lights only come on when the right rear door, lift gate are opened, or the keypad is used to unlock the door. Additionally the warning chime for headlights left on (this has caused a dead battery twice so far) or key in the ignition don't work along with the headlight flash when you lock and close the doors don't function. I'm considering contacting a priest because my vehicle is surly possessed. Has anyone ever experienced this phenomenon? I've been told it's probably a ground problem. Any ideas?

Tags:
  2. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Don't know what year, but possibly a bad GEM module?

3. asweetsir

4. asweetsir

2001. I'll check into that. Thanks.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm thinking the same, because when it's operating normally the only time the interior lights shouldn't come on is if the doors are open with the key in the ignition (why they do that, I don't know because if it were me I'd want them to come on).

6. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Known issues with the GEM modules on these . Check that first .

56panelford likes this.
  7. enriched

Agree with the GEM module as being the chief suspect of electrical randomness.
    But why....on the f150's , so I can't see why it wouldn't transfer to the Expeditions too. The front windshield leaks, which lets water migrate and drips onto the GEM module.
    It can also be just a poor ground or bad connection.
    IS there any other strange electrical happenings? Wipers working when ever they want? etc

8. asweetsir

The only electrical problems are those that I described. With 113K on the vehicle, I have no other problems and I really love the Expedition. On any kind of trip my wife packs as though we were headed around the world. If she had been on the Donner Expedition, they wouldn't have had to eat each other.

9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You'd think Ford would learn. Their Windstar/Freestar vans had the same problem with water and the PCM.

10. asweetsir

11. asweetsir

There are no other electrical problems. Also, the windshield has been replaced twice (rocks) since 2002.

12. enriched

HMMMm....well considering that the front glass been done & presumably sealed well. I guess that then I focus on fuses and connections and grounds.
    This wouldn't happen to have a sun/ moon roof?

13. asweetsir

14. asweetsir

15. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Just yesterday I had a truck in the shop .
    Water in the floor .New windshield a few weeks before .
    I have a sonic ear with an ultrasonic transmitter .Cool tool .
    Windshield was leaking .New install .
    Poor install .

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >