Ranger 2002 4x4 problems

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by Trailerpark, Jul 2, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Trailerpark

Hello guys. Hopefully someone on here can shed some light on my dilemma.

2002 ranger 4.0 automatic, with electric 4x4.

So, just bought this and didn't notice it in test drive. In 4 high, idk about 4 low, it will randomly pop really loud. No pattern, just does it occasionally. The faster you drive, the worse it does it. Does on all types of terrain, even sloppy mud.

I had my wife drive really slow and walked next to it, and when it does this the front tires look like something has gotten in a bind and you can see them kinda jerk. Didn't get a chance to see if rear wheels do it. But both side, passenger and driver front both react the same.

So initially, my buddy said it's the shift motor on the transfer case. Replaced it, same thing.

Naturally, CV axles seemed to be best bet, so replaced them both. No change.

Front drive shaft I replaced today because the old one wasn't articulating at the propeller joint. But that didn't fix it. Prior to that, I pulled the front drive shaft and drove 4 high and it didn't pop! So that's why I certain it was the shaft. But put the new one in and it still did it.

If you are familiar with these, you know it has a live front axle, so there isn't any chance of a locker, or mechanical engager that's malfunctioning.

I'm still not sold it isn't the transfer case, maybe it needs a overhaul. The front pinion has about a inch of twist before it engages the ring gear. So, maybe the front chunk needs attention? Please help!

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Maybe the front drive shaft is out of phase?

Also, welcome!

3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Inch of twist ? Before ring gear engagement? I would inspect the front diff for damage .
    And Welcome to the site !

56panelford likes this.
  4. Trailerpark

Yes, inch of twist before engagement! Only bad part is the cover comes off from the front of the housing. Which sits not only dead even with the cross member, but maybe a inch away!!

5. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Sorry, but looks likely an issue in the front diff. That much free play ain't normal.

56panelford likes this.
  6. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Brought about by morons who think it's cool to hit a mud-hole at 70 mph like they are in the Baja 1000.

56panelford and JWC 3 like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >