Ranger 2004 Ranger mirror replacement question

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by Major Malfunktion, Sep 4, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Major Malfunktion Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The other day, I was out at my favorite shooting spot - I replaced the barrel on my little .22 revolver (H&R 949 manufactured in 1976 - replaced the original 5-1/2" barrel with a 7-1/2" barrel from a 976) and I needed to adjust the rear sight.

As I was leaving the site, I got caught up in a soft spot in the road and wound up slamming the right-front quarter up against an embankment - put a nice dent in the quarter panel and popped the head off the passenger-side mirror. After finding the head (it flew quite a ways, LOL) I was able to pop it back on to the post on the door, no problem - but, the glass and internals that held the glass in place were completely destroyed.

I have the sport-type mirrors and I found a replacement on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002P8HPBC/?tag=theturfor-20

My question is this: Am I going to have to pull the door panel to replace this thing or is there a way to pop the head off the replacement mirror and swap it over to the original mount? I've not had to pull the door panels off before on this truck - is there a trick to it? I'm assuming there are clips to deal with...

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I had to do this with my 2000 after someone going the other way smacked my driver's mirror with theirs. The bad news is the door panel does have to come off. The good news is it's really easy on the Ranger. If I remember right there was a screw by the handle and the speaker. The window crank had to some off (I had manual windows), there was a screw in the middle once you popped the cover off. Then lift the panel up and out.

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Also, I think if you have power locks and windows once you pull off the handle you have to disconnect the wire plugs before pulling the panel out.

4. Major Malfunktion Oregon Chapter Founding Member

OK, thanks for the info... I don't have power windows/locks so, that won't be an issue...

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >