2008 SuperCrew Oil pressure gauge dropped to nothing and back up. Then ran rough for a couple miles now it won't turn over?

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Sonny1967, Dec 1, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Sonny1967 Vet Zone

My 2008 SuperCrew Oil pressure gauge dropped to nothing and back up. Then ran rough for a couple miles then it lost all power and died. Now it won't turn over? Acts like the battery is dead but lights are bright and battery gauge shows 13-14 volts until I turn the key to start it, then everything goes out, lights and gauges drop to nothing. When this happened I had AutoZone put 5he OBD II on it and it came back with camshaft sensor bank 1. So I replaced that and the oil pressure sending unit. I got it to start and run briefly and it was missing and not good U tried to keep it running but it just wouldn't clear up and eventually died again and now it just clunks when turning the key to start it. Won't turn over with a good battery. At a loss here. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Tags:
  2. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Doesn't sound good. Sounds like the engine is seized or hydrolocked.
    If it's somewhere you can look at it I'd drain the oil and check for debris. I'm guessing something came apart and sent pieces through the lube system and you engine is locked.

Sonny1967 likes this.
  3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, sounds like oil pressure which then caused cam phaser failure, making it two problems.

4. Sonny1967 Vet Zone

Care to explain in detail. I can turn the crank and it feels like it should. The oil looks good and clean. I forgot if I mentioned the alternator tested out to be bad at AutoZone and the starter tested good. I replaced the alternator and the camshaft sensor and the oil pressure sending unit. Now it just clicks when trying to start. The door chime will stop randomly while the key is still in the ignition.vi just bought a ignition module/switch and I'm going to try it right now cross my fingers and hope for the best. I'll let ya know how it pans out.
    Still would like to know about this "Cam Phaser" issue you mentioned.
    Thanks in advance.

5. Sonny1967 Vet Zone

Well now it clunks when trying to turn it over. I tried to turn the bottom crank manually again and it will turn but very hard and the belt doesn't turn at all with the crank. I bought this truck used less then two years ago and have had the transmission fail at 130000 miles. Luckily I bought an extended warranty with the truck and the transmission was covered. The new transmission lasted about a week. It was supplied by the warranty company. The next lasted about a month. Warranty company supplied another and it lasted just over a month. Warranty company supplied yet another supposed to be remanufactured transmission. It's been going strong for about four months. Now this motor issue happens with less then 10,000 miles left on my warranty. It's supposed to cover motor and power train. I guess I'll find out today when I have it towed to the in network repair facility.

6. Sonny1967 Vet Zone

I gave up and had it towed to a local repair facility to have it diagnosed. They called me this afternoon and gave me the news. The motor is toast. It seized up and needs to be replaced. I've had the truck less than two years and still owe quite a bit on this truck. I did purchase the 5 year 50,000 mile warranty when I bought the truck and it does cover the engine replacement. I normally would not have purchased a warranty like that at all but my last three vehicle purchases were very very bad deals and I had no warranty or good luck with any of them so I opted to get this one with a warranty considering the bad luck I've had with the last three. I'm so thankful that I did. After all, the warranty has covered three transmissions and now a motor with less then 10,000 miles left on the warranty. Now I just need to make sure they replace this motor with a very low mileage one or a rebuilt one.

clux likes this.
  7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

That stinks, and I'm sorry to hear the news. Thank goodness for the warranty, and that they are standing behind it. So often it seems like they don't. Have they told you yet what kind of engine is getting put in, rebuilt or a used one?

8. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Sorry to hear that, I wish I had been wrong. I had an engine failure 10 years ago with similar symptoms that was caused by a Fram oil filter that disintegrated.

9. 57FordGuy Founding Member

I've had horrible results trying to get warranties to actually do what was told me at purchase. Hopefully yours will be better.

10. Sonny1967 Vet Zone

No word from the Warranty company as of yet. I am expecting a call today and will post what they say when they say it.

11. Sonny1967 Vet Zone

Hey Y'all,
    As you can imagine I've been on the phone with SilverRock Repair (my Warranty Company) so far so good but I'm not through the woods yet. They stated on Friday that they have sent a inspector to confirm the diagnosis and have requested my maintenance records. I have absolutely without hesitation performed all scheduled maintenance according to Ford's 2008
    F-150 owners manual. Oil changes done every 5,000 miles like clockwork. I normally keep every receipt for this sort of thing but I was going through some very hard times last year. I lost my home and everything in it. All my files and records were in a storage unit and I lost everything in that storage unit due to financial hardships. I have been able to contact every place that did any of the larger repairs and can obtain copies of the work performed. The oil changes have become my biggest head ache. I've been able to find a few receipts for oil purchases but missing quite a few. I'm worried that if I don't provide these guys with every single oil change receipt they will not honor the warranty I paid so much for. What do you guys think??

12. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Hard to say, depends on the company and if they are the type who try to get out of claims. I never had an issue with Ford honoring a warranty, but no direct experience with aftermarket warrantees.

13. Sonny1967 Vet Zone

Thanks for the reply. It's appreciated.

14. Sonny1967 Vet Zone

Update: SilverRock did honor the warranty and replaced the motor with a used 5.4L 3V with 68,000 miles on it. AAMCO did the work only because they did the transmission replacements and have been ok to work with. When I picked up my truck after several delays and postponed completion dates I had to get a jump start from AAMCO. Not a good first impression. I didn't get 3 miles away and the check engine came on. I pulled over to check it out and see what was going on. I checked the oil and it wasn't even showing up on the dipstick. I then checked the transmission oil and it barely showed on the dipstick. I added oil and brought it to my Dad's which was the closest place I could thoroughly check this engine out. After doing this I have three new snap-on tools probably worth $300 and some shop rags that I found in my engine compartment. I now understand AAMCO was probably not the best place to do the engine swap. Here it is one year later almost to the day and this motor 5.4L 3 V Triton engine is toast once again. I'm getting cam phasers sensors, all the same poop that came up the last time the motor went out. Aftermarket warranty coverage is no more. I should be covered by AAMCO's 12-month or 1 year warranty. I'll have to see if they honor it. I'll keep you posted.
    UNfudgeINGBELIEVABLE!!!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >