Explorer 2010 Crank No Start

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by Critter, Oct 3, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

I've been out for a while. Busy reorganizing my life, but I just got hit with a whammy and need you guys.

My wife's 2010 Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0L will not start. I've been working on it most of the day, trying to get it going. I've checked the fuses. The fuel pump relay is fine. The truck cranks fine, but will not turn over.

Fuel Pressure- Currently unknown. I do not have a pressure guage and cannot locate the schrader valve to test it if I had one. Where do I look for this?

I have also tried resetting the inertia switch. No luck. Once I can test pressure, I'll know if the pump is out or not.

Spark- Plugs were replaced after we noticed a gap bordering on .080" Plugs looked worn, but not damaged or any negative conditions. I don't have a spark tester to verify it has spark. I'm about to try pulling one and cranking while it's out of the block to observe it.

Air- No issues noted. Filter is clean and the truck was having 0 issues yesterday.

Cranking- Oddly the truck will continue to crank for about 5-10 seconds after releasing the key. I'm not sure why this is or if this is even related. The truck seems to have a pre-set crank time until the truck stops trying to turn over. Anyone experienced that?

Thanks in advance,
    Critter

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Scan tool for pressure check. Any codes?

3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Fuel pump driver module may be toast... any wrench lamps or theft lamps on?
    Try a spare key could be a pats issue.
    You really need a scan tool on this one. Just a few quick ideas.

dustybumpers likes this.
  4. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

John, I've tried both keys. no service lamps at all. What scan tool do I need? I can't afford those things. And I'm not sure if any aftermarket scanners can give me the fuel pressure. No codes.

5. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

A launch creader VI will do what you need. Not too expensive, gr8 tool. I own one, keep it in the truck at all times.

6. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Crank time is normal. Starting fluid used sparingly will confirm a fuel issue. Given a squirt, it should try and start.
    I will look for a wiring diagram.

dustybumpers likes this.
  7. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Ok, this may not be like yours, but this is a fuel pump driver bypass. 0903161717.jpg #ad
    an older model.

dustybumpers likes this.
  8. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Those two fuses bypass the drive and run the fuel pump full tilt. Redneck get home fix. .....

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Listen at the gas cap while someone cycles the key. Is the fuel pump running for the 1 second burst at key cycle?

JWC 3 likes this.
  10. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

Ironically, no gas cap by design. I'm going to try a few more things today. Will keep you posted.

11. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

So, we have spark. All fuses are good. Inertia switch was not tripped. Dammit. Fuel pump. Or ecu. Neither option I like.

12. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Running fine yesterday, NO start today...no explanation or known reason for the failure, nothing visible that should cause the problem.....

Have you checked the Crank Position Sensor?

13. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

Not sure how. We do have spark.

14. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm completely uneducated when it come to an engine as new as yours. From experience on older vehicles, at least as far back as 1986, if that sensor goes the vehicle won't. Left my wife stranded along the side of I5 once.

Not sure it controls spark in all vehicles or make. Our 86 had spark but no fuel flow. The 96 it does not effect glow plugs.
    I do know that on my 96 7.3 diesel, when the CPS went out, we coasted to a stop and got towed home. As we all know, diesels have no spark plugs and the glow plugs shut off after a couple minutes upon initial start. In this case and on the 86 (gasser we no longer have), the only thing it seemed to do was tell the computer to shut off the fuel flow.

Where it would be on the 2010 is hard to say. They are usually in the $25 to $45.00 price range and somewhere around the front of the engine block....

15. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

Easy to find. It's right up front and on $23.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >