2018 F-250 chrome wheels

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by RobS, Nov 30, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. RobS

I just had new tires put on my 2018 F-250, has about 49,000 miles on it. My wheels are the original chrome plated. When they put the new tires on it chipped up the chrome around where the bead is. I talked to the tech and supervisor and they said it happens alot on the chrome plated wheels. They have plastic ends on the tools and machinery to try and minimize any damage, but they think its the road salt that weakens the chrome on the edges. I'm up in Northern NY where they use alot of salt.

Any thoughts? Is this normal for Ford wheels that are 2 year old with 50,000 miles? Or are they just trying to remove blame? I'm thinking of stopping in the dealer to see if they run into it also.

Thanks

Any thoughts

20201128_144403.jpg #ad

20201128_144409.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

That's not normal. There's a machine they mount it on and it spins around with a special "spoon" that pushes the tire in. If there isn't enough lubricant applied, or either the tire or spoon isn't set right, it can cause either wheel or tire bead damage. Occasional small areas of damage could be possible, but I'm not buying their reasoning with the kind of damage you're showing in the pictures.

3. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

total BS on their part. i am in new jersey, and we use just as much if not more salt that new york does. my 2014 rims look like new, and i just put 4 new tires on it last week.

the difference i guess is I put the tires on, i do not let other people touch my trucks.

4. RobS

Thanks for the replies. I talked to another big name tire store. And they say they've had the same issue with new Ford chrome laminated wheels. They just had the same year and model as my truck in over the summer and had the exact same issue on every tire. They think its something to do with the bonding of the thin chrome laminating on the wheel. He got Ford to pay the majority of getting new wheels.

So I took a cruise over to the Ford dealership and talked with the service manager there, and he confirmed they've had some issues with the new wheels. He recommended I give Ford customer service a call since my truck is well over the 36,000 mile warranty and see what they could do. He would expect them to cover a majority of the replacement costs, but not the full price. So, I'll see what they have to say.

1970something likes this.
  5. V10 NUT

I've changed tires on my 03 factory chrome plated wheels 6 times. Used only in winter. Still look like new. No chipping . Could be a bad chrome job. Either way they shouldn't be chipped up that bad after 1 change.

6. Biffster

Good luck on Ford Customer Service. Hope you have success!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >