2011 5.0 coolant leak

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Rhurst10, Dec 20, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Rhurst10

hello,

Just joined the group, thanks for having me.
    The reason I got on here in the first place was looking for advice for a coolant leak. I couldn't find any guidance anywhere. I got it figured out eventually.
    So, I thought I'd share the problem and fix.
    My upper radiator hose was leaking. It turned out to be an o-ring, inside the hose, (BC3Z-8590-F) found at my local ford store in OKC. Cost $6.59.
    Remove clip holding the hose to the Y-connection. Have a bucket ready to catch coolant. There is a white piece inside the hose and the o-ring is behind that. Lube the new ring and install. Hope this helps.

image.jpeg #ad

Tags:
    JWC 3 likes this.
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Thanks for the tip. Rather odd way of them doing things.

3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I HATE the new quick connect hoses more than the formed shrink clamps .
    At least you could cut those and put a screw clamp in place .

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Kinds of like the heater core hoses, you need a special tool to take it off, easy on the engine side but not easy on the firewall behind the corner of the PCM, next to a wiring harness under the lip of the cowl.

JWC 3 likes this.
  5. captchas

reminds me of the middle 80's when vw started using those pita's on the rad hoses buried to where they were hard to get at, then added a engine oil cooler that loved to leak and fill up the system with tan foam,
    heads up trick for any one that gets that problem, pull the stat out drain the system, fill with water add 2 oz's of DAWN, run till hot flush and repeat a few more times till totally clean. the dawn breaks down the oil and leaves a clean cooling system behind

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >