2011 Ecoboost F150 - Rough Idle, Hesitation, Missing, Limp Mode - Fixed

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by KentuckyKid, Oct 17, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. KentuckyKid

Whodda thunk it would take 4 trips to the dealer to fix an issue that existed before I bought the truck that I asked them to fix it before I bought it, and I had to pay them to fix it? But, that's what it took for them to finally replace the spark plugs. Found a TSB and a YouTube video of the exact symptoms I had. This time I mad sure to force the engine into logging a code instead of driving easy when it went into limp mode. Soon as the code logged, I babied it till i got it to them. No idea why it took them this long to find it, but it's finally done. Truck runs like it should now, which is to say, very well.

Had I thought to fix this myself, I would have saved time, money and some headaches. And I should have not bought it when I *knew* something was wrong with ignition without them fixing it first. It sounded like plugs to me when I test drove it.

Here's a video explaining the fouling problems on the OEM spark plugs

Stephen

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I don't like the whole idea of the intercooler "fix" being covering up part of the air charge cooler to make it less efficient. Higher intake temps mean less horsepower, lower mileage, etc. Ultimately the proper fix is a redesigned intake manifold to prevent water pooling.

About the spark plugs, I've never been one to leave in 100,000 mile plugs without at least pulling them at some point (every 25K miles) and checking the gap. There's a lot that can happen over the course of 100,000 miles! Ford and other companies opt to use platinum plugs because they like to show their vehicles have lower maintenance cost, but it can also as you can see by the video, bring it's own set of headaches.

3. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Glad it's fixed for you. Can't see how the Air-to-Air cooler could be the problem except of course the water getting in the intake. Hell, instead of blocking the cooler off, just eliminate it and install a tube.

100,000 miles is way too many on a set of plugs.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >