2013 FX4 mirrors

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by ClarkD, Dec 16, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. ClarkD

So when I bought this FX4 I knew it didn't have all the bells and whistles I wanted but I've been adding aftermarket stuff at my own pace. One of the things that surprised me was the side mirrors I thought would blink with the turn signals, they are not connected at all, turns out the amber reflectors are just dummies. If I seek to upgrade them with actual working lights, are the connectors already inside the door panel, ready to go but was not an upgrade on this vehicle?

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You're talking about the front amber lens on them, right?

Recommend going with 18 LEDs per site. 9 per side is more common but the 18 per side can be seen much better from a distance.

If you push the bottom of the mirror all the way in, you can see behind it and can unclip it with a flat head screw driver. Once you do that you can see the bolts holding the front and back sides of the housing together and it's pretty self-explainatory after that.

The back facing turn lights, which should work, you can jump wires into those to power the front LEDs. The front reflector has a fairly soft plastic white backing, count that so the LEDs you put behind it will shine through.

3. ClarkD

Thanks...Yes, the front amber lens. But you speak of the back facing turn lights, I don't have any. I bought this truck used and the factory didn't install them, so that's why I need to know if the wires are already there. (of course I could take a 50/50 shot and disassemble the door to find out, but maybe someone will know for sure.)

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Wish I could tell you with 100% certainty, but I can't. I guess worst case you could make a connector with wires and connect into that one in the door.

5. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

You might have this figured out already, but I put aftermarket towing mirrors on my truck in December 2015. I had the same mirrors as you, with the amber reflector on the front. When I got my towing mirrors, they had the rear facing signal light, and yes, there is wiring in the door for that. As far as a front facing signal, mine don't have that, and the reflector is gone.

ClarkD likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >