2013 Navagator Battery....

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by KW5413, Aug 17, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Out of town and the Battery up and died. 19,000 miles and on the road for 23 months. Jumped and got it to AutoZone since it was a Sunday. 20 minutes and $ 150.00 later back on the road.

Seems pretty early for a battery to quit like that but, I doubt in will get any relief from Lincoln.

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Depends on who the manufacture was, I went through a bad batch of batteries last year here.
    My 95 f 150 had only had 400 miles on it for that time period, and the battery was 6 months old.
    The other was my 02 diesel, and both batteries failed, both were less than 3 months old.
    All 3 batteries were purchased from the same store
    The excuse was the cells had migrated inside.

The warranty did cover it eventually, on all 3 batteries, but it was a battle

3. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

OEM Motorcraft battery. Born with it.

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Mine were Motorcraft replacement
    Did you keep the battery, or did you turn it in for a core?
    I would take it to the dealer ( if you kept it ) and give it a shot, Quite possible they will pro rate it, then you can decide whether or not it is more economical to return the one you just bought, or just keep what you have.

5. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Since it was Sunday I took pictures and left the core there. $ 18.00 core charge now days.

It may take more of an investment to chase a pro-rate down than it is worth. I will get to the dealer this week and see if they will help with the action.

As we speak, they are trying to make an attractive enough offer to early term my lease (13 months left on it) for an new 2015 Nav. They have 82 on the lot. So far, I am not biting. They haven't even hit the 20% discount from list yet and they need to be around 23% for me to move. I am on my second Lincoln but, told them that if I take this unit to term there is a very good chance that I will not return to Lincoln. BTW, they initiated the opportunity to early term.

I doubt we will find a common price ground. Besides, the Lease Manager is a jerk and is more interested in hearing what he is saying than what I am saying. Didn't even price out the vehicle I was interested in and didn't bother writing down my cell # after I told him that was the way to contact me...then questioned why I did not get back to him on a couple of questions he had....Naturally, those kind of mistakes come with a price. :)

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Ford and Motorcraft unfortunately has dropped the quality of their batteries in my opinion in recent years. The warranty on them as a replacement part was 24 months if I recall correctly. The perception was bad enough that last year they increased the warranty to 36 months, and pro-rated to 100 months on the
    "Tested Tough" battery.

I think in some Fords the battery from the factory may be rated at 36 months worst case, so you would still have a good 47% pro-rated. I got 5 years out of my OEM battery in the F150, because I kept it on a battery conditioner, but my diesel I've always been lucky to get just past the battery warranty period then they fail!

7. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I'm finding that none of the battery's are lasting that long lately, I used to get 7-8 years out of one, now you're lucky to get 2.

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I got 12 years out of the original Motorcraft batteries in the 02 diesel
    I didn't have a battery tender on them, but did start the truck every week.
    the truck currently has 29,000 miles on it
    As stated above, the replacement batteries were a big disappointment

My 04 Pete is on year 11 on it's batteries, and as far as I can tell, this winter it will be time for 3 new ones.
    Not sure what's going back in, but it's not going to be Motorcraft this time

9. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

It gets frustrating because they don't give them away, when they generally fail it's usually when you need to get somewhere in a hurry.

10. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I put the battery in my 78 back in 09 . Still going . I have put two in my 04 mounty in the same time frame , one just a few months back .
    Newer vehicles , and all the electrics they have , put a higher demand on the batteries today .
    I worked at a parts store in the 90's . We had a full pallet of bad New batteries at one point .We had to test all batteries before we sold them !
    I still see bad runs of batteries from time to time at our shop .

11. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

For all of the advancements in batteries you would think they could do a better job. Especially in a, so called, luxury brand.

I think I am going to stick my toe in the water and take a look at the BIG THREE Trucks. But I am seeing more and more Tundra trucks around here, I just can't wrap my arms around them...even though they are built Texas Tuff... :)

The Ford F150 Platinum and GMC Denali both are every bit "luxury" as the Navigator.

12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

My '15 450 platinum is nicer than my 97 Town car.

13. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Well, I am going to wait to get closer to end of term before I do anything. Apparently, the Lincoln early term would forgive remaining 13 months payments and trade out even on residual value, which is cool. But, the dealer isn't working to damned hard on the new 2015 Nav. We are about $ 2,000 apart so I will just keep it and get out of the Lincoln business. Plus, I just found out that the 2015 Navs require Premium fuel...

....Really?

14. jimmy-six Founding Member

On the battery deal, my 13 Eco radio message kept coming up to turn off the radio due to low voltage. Funny thing is I have an Edge monitor and see the voltage all the time. I took the truck my Pro-Tron dealer I've used for years and he checked it out... He told me I didn't drive enough and to put a 6 amp or so charger on the battery for 8 hours... I did and he was right the problem went away. The 2 batteries in my 04 diesel lasted 6 years and I did the change before a trip. Good luck

15. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It doesn't require premium. It's like some of the Dodges, it requires premium to reach the max stated horsepower but it will run on regular gas, as will the Navigator. Basically, the calibration is designed to advance timing a lot more than a normal calibration... I'd guess (without looking at the tune in my SCT software) it's probably 4-5 degrees of spark advance it can add from it's 87 base timing. It's lke the 2009+ F150. They stated 320 horsepower on the 5.4L but it's really the same 300 HP as the previous generation... unless you run E85 and the calibration is designed to then crank up the timing advance to get that extra 20 HP.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >