2016-2017 Winter Driving Fails. The follies begin!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Greywolf, Dec 15, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Yep! It's that time again...

What's amazing about THIS one is the idiots who get out, and then stand around on the highway:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Tags:
  2. mete

While there are 4x4 trucks, abs, snow tires you first have to learn to drive ! Part of it is to know when to say " I'm staying home , too dangerous "

I just got back from the diner . Cold but calm going but when I stepped out to go back there were blizzard conditions !!! Reduced visibility, slippery, went slow as it's downhill all the way . But after a million years of winter driving ,no big deal !

3. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Soft-pedaling a slide or a stuck car works. Burnouts DO NOT...
    I can't believe how many people just don't get that - if your wheels are spinning you have lost all of your traction.

Last winter a dude got stuck in a big ol' van at the intersection near my place, didn't even have much tread on his tires, and he thought if he kept spinning the tires he'd get going. Dude finally got stuck sideways in a nearby parking lot and I offered to get him back out of it and onto the road (headed HOME!).

So he lets me take it, and I eased on the gas just enough to push without breaking loose, let it roll back into its ruts, and eased ahead again. Two minutes, and it was out and facing back where the clod came from. After showing the guy this, what does he do?

Gets in and spins his tires all the way back down the road... :shifty:

What a DORK :meh:

4. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Makes it fun for those of us that own tow trucks!

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I won't go out in it. I can handle driving in it, but there are too many out there who can't handle it. Even the most experienced can't control others, or be aware of every surprise another driver presents before it happens. Considering it only snows 1-3 days per year here, and I'm not planning on ever moving where there's more.... a couple of days of not driving is fine with me.

6. mete

Well there were ice patches this morning and there was at least one roll over .Don't know the details yet.

One time I went to help a woman get out of a parking spot .Lots of ice and I patiently explained to gently give it just a bit of gas. Sppiiinnn ! So I explained again, Sppiiinn ! A third time . Sppiiinn!! I walked away proud that I had done my good deed for the day !! :)

7. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

People who refuse to listen to sound advice deserve one and only one thing - to "Sit & Spin" so that they pose no hazard to others.

I've often wondered if by getting that one clown unstuck - I caused him to slide down the bluff into the river or something. I don't think I've ever seen that van around here again.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >