Passenger airbag light

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by HOWDYATUSMC, Nov 12, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. HOWDYATUSMC

My Passenger airbag light is lit at all times. It say "On with a ghost buster sign of a child's car seat. It is a 2017 F-250 4x4 with STX trim. I have gone to 2 different dealers. One said that was normal (the truck is 3 years old and light just came on) and the other wanted me to leave it in the shop. I was hoping for a reset switch or something simple. Truck is still under warranty but I hate to lose it for 3 or 4 days.

Tags:
  2. ifallsguy

This might be of help. Sounds like a bad sensor. You might make sure the plug is completely connected. Just a guess.

2. Passenger Occupancy Sensor Damage
    [​IMG]#ad

via mbworld.org

Given that the passenger seats are adjustable, the wiring connecting the passenger occupancy sensor is vulnerable to getting stretched and frayed in the process. It can even get detached altogether.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

via elesys-na.com

To determine if the sensor is working okay, first check the "Passenger Airbag Off" indicator. If the seat is vacant, this light should be on. When the seat is occupied it should turn off implying that the airbag system is online and functioning.

If the light is off when the seat is vacant or vice-versa, there could be a problem with the sensor. You will want to first check the wiring and harness underneath your seats to see if everything is connected. Ensure that no wire is frayed.

If everything seems okay, but you can't get the light to go off when the passenger seat is occupied, you can either replace the pad on your seat (expensive) or install a universal plug and play kit to bypass the occupancy sensor (only when you know you will not have kids in the front seat).

To install the universal kit; disconnect the yellow connector under the passenger seat and connect the kit. You need to get your wire splicing game up otherwise, you might end up with wires crossed -rendering the airbag system disarmed.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >