Drive shaft recall

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Evergreen, Feb 25, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Evergreen

Heard today that Ford will be recalling F250’s and F350’s, 2017-2022, equipped with gas v-8 engines for defective drive shafts. It seems these models are equipped with aluminum drive shafts that can fracture! Apparently this recall affects 250,000 vehicles.
    I haven’t heard anything from Ford, but I am scheduled for service in 2 weeks and will get details.

Tags:
  2. DonW

Wonder if that’s the “grinding” noise some are complaining about? I describe it on mine as sounding more like pinion slap, didn’t think anything it. 250,000 driveshafts, wonder how many yrs it will take to do that?

3. DonW

Received recall notice on my 2020 F-250. Seems it’s some shield above the driveshaft, not the driveshaft itself. There is the possibility if the shield loose sand rubs on the aluminum drive shaft it could wear thrust he shaft causing the shaft to explode. As I understand it the recall isn’t on the shaft itself. Of coarse “we’ll notify you when the parts are available”!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
  4. Evergreen

Had routine service today at my Ford dealership. I asked about the drive shaft recall and was told by the service manager to make an appointment, which is three weeks from now . If parts are needed they will order them at that point, which could be several days!
    When I asked why the parts aren’t on hand he said, “that’s the Ford way.”
    Rather than lose the use of my truck for a couple of days I will call other local dealerships and explore my options or wait until I get a recall notice…

5. DonW

Appointment Monday. Which is a 5 day wait, no more. Many need no parts.

- Moderator note: please keep politics out of the general tech sections. Edited!

6. DonW

Sorry...was told this by the dealer...parts are backordered...

7. DonW

Well my recall update…….all they had to do was put a rivet in the shield over the drive shaft. ……..

8. Evergreen

Update:
    Went to Ford online, followed the prompts to Recall Notices and entered my VIN.
    It seems my truck is NOT on the recall list. It all depends when the truck rolls through the line at the factory…

9. Evergreen

Recall update: It seems Ford online is not reliable!
    After inputting my vin and getting a response indicating that my 2021 F250 was not being recalled, I received a recall notice in the mail a few days ago! Oh well!

10. DonW

Don’t be surprised when they finally get you in if it actually has nothing to do with the driveshaft! AS I said I was included in the “ driveshaft recall”, 2020 F-250,which actually had very little to do with the driveshaft.
    The recall specifically said one of the heat shields can, and on some trucks has dropped loose, allowing it to rub thru the aluminum drive shaft causing, or potentially causing drive shaft failure. On mine the dealer in Daytona laughed and put an additional rivet in the shield!!

11. Evergreen

I am hopeful it will be that simple!

12. DonW

Me too!!! I was kinda surprised because before I scheduled it theyntold me "We'll check it out but if parts are needed they're on backorder". I hope your's is simple and I hope mine is right!!!

13. Evergreen

Finally made it in for the recall service. They just popped in a couple rivets like they did with yours! There was also two other recall notices! One was a computer update for the airbags and the other was to replace the windshield wiper arms and blades! The air bags thing was taken care of but the wiper parts are on backorder!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >