Steering column brief vibrations...is it "normal" ?

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by iconicbikesrider, May 27, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. iconicbikesrider

Greetings to all.,
    I purchased a new 2020 Super Duty and I am not very familiar with some of the technical advancement of new pickup trucks.
    I picked up my new truck late Feb and since the quarantine, I have not have a chance to take a long ride. All my driving has been very few miles near by me. I have less than 300 miles so far.
    Here is the question. When driving around town, occasionally I feel and hear a vibration. Sort of minor rumble coming from the steering wheel's shaft. I believe this truck has electronic assistance steering. Is it the Electronic Device that "assist the steering" what I hear and feel? It last for a second or two. Happens sporadically but at least once or twice when I run my short errands.
    I know, eventually, some minor things are going to pop up by the time I'll take the truck for service. I would like to understand what's happening and the source of the vibration, if any of you guys could advice me.

Regards to all.

Louis

Tags:
  2. Misspeabodi

Not sure if this applies, but I have a 2017 F250 and just received a notice in the mail from Ford the other day about the steering linkage damper that causes users to experience 'sustained steering wheel oscillation after hitting rough pavement'. If you want to keep an eye out for recalls or service advisories, here's a link to where you can run your VIN through Ford's system to get info:

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html

3. iconicbikesrider

Misspeabodi,
    Thank you for your quick answer and the link.
    I don't have "sustained steering wheel oscillation after hitting rough pavement" but the oscillation description is something I feel. It is not in the steering wheel but appears to be in the steering wheel shaft. Not in rough pavement but only is felt occasionally in smooth pavement and for a second only.
    I wish I could be very clear to describe my experience because I don't believe it is an issue but perhaps I don't understand the advance electronics this 2020 truck has.
    Thanks again.

4. sstedman

I have a 2020 F250. My truck does the same thing. It's the lanes guidance system. When you straddle the lane marker the wheel vibrates. When you use the turn signal and change lanes it does nit happen.

Obe and DonW like this.
  5. RiverratATX

Its your lane deviation saftey feature. It does not happen when you use signals to change lanes. If you seen green lane lights on the instrument cluster it meas you have the feature "on". You can cancel it in your vehicle settings

Obe and JACK937 like this.
  6. sstedman

I also have a 2020 Super Duty. I am pulling an 11,000 camper and traveling from Virginia to Texas. While driving in some tight construction zones the lane departure vibration was constantly going off. I thorn heard a few "ding dongs" and a message appeared on the dash. It said, "driver alert, time to relax" and showed a picture of a cup of coffee.

7. iconicbikesrider

"driver alert, time to relax" and showed a picture of a cup of coffee.
    It does display so if you are driving for hours and you don't stop. If you drive like 3 hours or so w/o stopping.

8. Byron Lemay

Hopefully it's just the lane departure doing it's thing...I'd turn that off, first order.

And for crying out loud...what are these trucks going to do next? Pull over automatically and refuse to start for three hours because "it" had determined that you're tired? What is this world coming to? They gonna put a laundry machine in the back seat next?

Biffster likes this.
  9. iconicbikesrider

I drove from NJ to NC. Was at night and traffic was very light. I was flying and time went by fast. Then suddenly the 'Have some coffee" warning came up. You don't have to do anything. Just keep driving if so you wish. Since I felt "this truck is smarter than me" I got off next exit, went to the bathroom and got back on driving. Within 3 more hours, same warning. Did the same. Got home safe and sound. I think, the warning times you every 3 hours. Still, it is your choice to stop or not.
    BTW, the "vibration" I felt on the steering column is nothing more than a warning for the Lanes Guidance system. And it is a feature you may turn on or off. I am wondering if the "Have a cup of coffee" warning is the same.

10. JACK937

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. THIS RECENTLY HAPPENED TO ME. THREE DIFFERENT "EXPERTS", INCLUDING A FORD SERVICE MANAGER, TOLD ME THAT IT WAS THE STEERING DAMPER. I JUST READ YOUR STATEMENT ABOUT THE LANE CHANGE, AND I REMEMBER NOW THAT I DISABLED THIS FEATURE WHEN I BOUGHT MY TRUCK. SOMEHOW, THE LANE CHANGE ALERT WAS ENGAGED RECENTLY. ALL IS OK, NOW.

11. DonW

Can you turn it off??? Wish I could

12. JACK937

THERE SHOULD BE A BUTTON ON THE DASH, JUST ABOVE THE SCREEN, TO ENGAGE AND DISENGAGE THE LANE CHANGE ALERT.

13. iconicbikesrider

the "vibration" I felt on the steering column is nothing more than a warning for the Lanes Guidance system. And it is a feature you may turn on or off. There is a button above the radio with a squgly lines (I think)

JACK937 likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >