2017 f250 spark plus, battery, electrical issues

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by dandonnelly1992, Oct 8, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. dandonnelly1992

Hey guys, this past weekend I replaced all 16 spark plugs in my 6.2l f250, the day before yesterday I replaced the battery Bc it was dead. Last night my lights started flickering and going in and out and my center console bezel with the radio unit and a/c control stopped working. It work work for a short time after I start the truck then stops and headlights start to clicker again, any ideas what this could be? I replaced a relay that looked bad and it hasn’t solved the problem, I’m stumped and in a bad situation if I don’t get this fixed this weekend. PLEASE HELP ME YALL!

Tags:
  2. DonW

Welcome to the forum!! There are many here that can help you lots more than me on something like this and I have no doubt the will. Maybe take it to a parts store, most will ck for codes no charge, might be a good place to start.

dandonnelly1992 likes this.
  3. ifallsguy

what electrical have you added to the truck? Sounds like an intermittent short somewhere. That could also explain the dead battery.

4. dandonnelly1992

I didn’t add any electrical to the truck just swapper the battery. I hear a click noise that sounds like a relay but louder but it was there before this issue happend, maybe it was leading up to failing? I have tried tracing the wires and can’t find anything, almost all of my fuses have brown/reddish color Towards the tile of them but they do not look broken, like I said I know I had a bad relay Bc it was super hot and brown from being burnt, I replaced it but to no avail. My head is hurting and I’ve been trying to figure this out for two days and I have to figure it out before work Monday. Thanks for y’all’s help! Any advice would be great?

5. ifallsguy

If you had a burned up relay, you probably have other damage. I would look at the wiring for melted insulation or other damage. For instance, if it's for the horn, check the terminals and the wiring. If lights, check the socket. If the LEDs, the boards in which the LEDs are mounted may have been damaged (burned and/or shorted). A burned relay normally is because something is trying to draw way too much amperage.

Many years ago, I replaced the bright headlights in my 1970 Superbird with the landing lights used in small aircraft. These drew amperage like noone's business. Had to have a relay in the circuit to prevent frying the wiring. I had put a fuse inline that kept blowing since the relay was too small and would get too hot to touch before the fuse blew. When I replaced it with a larger relay, no issues.

Just a suggestion, but I think it will come back to the relay and whatever it was working with.

6. dandonnelly1992

Yeah, thanks for the advice, I changed multiple fuses and relays this weekend, after changing a couple relays everything worked for a couple minutes and then stopped again, I think it’s over my head and I’m going to have to bring it to a shop. Thanks for y’all’s help!

7. dandonnelly1992

Okay, so funny enough, I figured it out today and I would’ve never guessed this could be the problem but my taillight that has blind side assistance and all that other stuff got a little water in it, cause it to have a short and apparently all the other stuff that was happening was on the same network of wires as the BLIS, took off the tail light, let it dry, put grease on the connections, put it back together and it’s all good to go now, thanks everyone for the insight!

DonW likes this.
  8. DonW

Man what has this world become?? A firkin wet tail light causing all that grief...

9. ifallsguy

Welcome to the wonderful world of the electronic truck. And it's hackable too!

DonW likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >