Death Wobble

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Black Oval, Jan 22, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Black Oval

We have a few trucks in the fleet wobbling and Fords fix seems to replace the slave cylinder. I know for a fact this is only a band aid. Seeing people using caster shims to fix but looking for others thoughts. Our latest truck doing the DW is a 2022 F250 regular cab long bed with a 6.2L. 3200 miles. Alignment is in check

Tags:
  2. DonW

I must be lucky. 2020 (bought new) F-250 7.3L Godzilla. No transmission re-calls or any real problem...yet! 28,000 m miles no "death wobble"!....yet! I will say this "death wobble' is nothing new with Ford. I have had many, one a 73 had the "wobble" big time. Put an aftermarket slave cal and it cured the problem....for ever. Entirely different front end but many still have this problem now for 50 yrs!! Can't believe Ford has never addressed the real cause.

Black Oval likes this.
  3. Biffster

I received a "Customer Satisfaction Program 20N04" stating Ford will replace the "steering linkage damper" at No Cost, No Questions, or proof of past issues.

So I am going to call the dealership and set an appointment to get it replaced.

DonW likes this.
  4. DonW

You’ve had several trucks do this, and I believe you. But mussels and others have had no problems. Myself a 2020 F-250, 32,000 miles I have to ask why?

5. Biffster

Taking it in today (6/15/23) for my replacement. We have purchased a 5th wheel and no way do I need the Wobble while pulling that rig.

6. DonW

What a shame! I don't blame you. I'm so thankful I a luck one. Also pulling 36' 5th wheel, scaled over 10,000lbs, no problem whatsoever.......33,000 miles, holding my breath...it's a ford!!! I still have to wonder after 50 yrs why Ford hasn't addressed this problem???? Like I said (my 73 did it). Good luck Biff.

Biffster likes this.
  7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

8. DonW

Oh ok… so you’re saying that means it’s inexcusable for Ford not to do anything about it for 50 yrs!!! Ok I get it!
    I personally don’t give a poop about Google, but I wasted my time looking at only the first two links you posted and both were talking about and replacing “worn/loose and damaged parts, hardly what this thread is addressing on these fords. Or is t? I just assumed on these fords that was not the case seeing they’re new !! Or is it?? They are Firds so maybe not! I have never heard of the death wobble except on fords, other that very limited cases. And yes I was a big time ford man for 50 yrs……until I owned a RAM in 2012.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

What don't you understand about it being an issue inherent to solid front axles? Suspension component slop from anything worn means the system can't absorb oscillations and it cascades as a result. There are millions of hits for those searches for other vehicles. That's not limited cases with other brands. Jeep even recently settled a class action lawsuit and their fix isn't really a great solution either, because again it's inherent.

I had it happen with my 78 Dodge D100 truck. People are still talking about this issue with new RAMs, yet I don't blame Dodge/RAM not fixing it after 45 years. I have better things to do than tilt at windmills.

1,600,000 search results for RAM death wobble. That's pretty common.

captchas likes this.
  10. DonW

……..with worn,loose,damaged mis aligned parts…..what don’t you understand about this?!!??! Show us these “millions of hits” you claim. That should take you about 500 yrs or so, and get back to us!

Mike so I just did some research for you, maybe save you 10 mins! I’m also a member on a Ram forum. Did a search titled “death wobble”. As you said. Many hits. I looked at the first 8 hits, all were trucks 10 or more yrs old that had modified front suspension parts, oversized tires or worn or misaligned parts. None, at least the first 8 hits were stock, not newer stock trucks like these fords!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  11. captchas

coming from one who was a dealer SM, we had it even on VW's found most claims were from aftermarket parts installations' such as increased wheel offsets . as far as fords when i sold my 2005 f250 it had 100k on it all dead bone stock,never did i feel any death wobble ,

12. DonW

Oh f
    I find it interesting you verified what I said, Most claims were from aftermarket parts. Oh sure, my 2020 F-250 has no "death Wobble"..or I should say Ford has masked the problem with the big ol stock steering dampener which I was surprised to see they are still using but hey if it doesn't wobble thats fine with me. Kinda funny, I have friends that if it isn't a Ford they almost won't speak to you! Her parents left them a Dodge conversion van at least 15 yrs ago that was 10 yrs or so old at the time. I believe it was ABOUT a 2090 or a little older. Took it to Alaska and back from Florida, which in my mind makes me question their judgement!! LOL any how they had some kind of a problem with it and will NEVER, EVER buy another Dodge!! I said "thats an experience from a vehicle you had 20-25 yrs ago!!! Like my buddy FTZ!!! LOL Do ya think maybe, just maybe they have changed them maybe just a little??? Heck I had a 73 Ford F-100 I bought approx 1980 that you could stand beside and almost HEAR rusting away.

13. Biffster

Follow up on the replacement:
    Took it in on the 15th at about 8:00 am. As scheduled for the appointment that they send me at least 5 reminders of the appointment. They said they will call when completed. (1/2 hr job from into the bay, to out of the bay?)
    At 2:00 pm I CALLED to check the status of my truck. They said it was completed and I can come pick it up.
    When I arrived, stated who I was and was here to pick up my truck, one of the service techs ask "Did you receive a call saying it was ready?"
    I felt like being a smart ass and wanted to just say NO, but I said "I called and was told it was ready." I must be getting soft in my old age!

I will say as a blank statement: The Service Industries are really poor at Customer service!
    -I had to call to see if my truck was ready, when they said they would call.
    -I was shopping for a 5th wheel camper. Stock Model Camper, MSRP over $95K, Talking to him Face to Face, the salesman stated he would have a quote to me by the end of the day. 48 hrs later he calls and wants to talk about the quote he was putting together. Too Late!
    -Took my riding lawn mover in as I had some transmission issues. Mower still under warranty. Three weeks later, NOT a damn thing was done.
    -Bought a 5th camper and the dealer missed a digit in the serial number on most the paper work we signed. One week later, they sent us new paper work to sign, including a new loan agreement. We stated we will not sign any new paper work until we receive notice that the original paper / loan agreement was cancelled. One week later and still no cancellation paper work.

As Gibbs says "DO YOUR JOB!"

14. DonW

UNBELIEAVABLE, well not really.So was the truck ready? Is it better? We bought a new 5th wheel in 2021. two yrs later we have MOST of the defects worked out!! The dealer could not of cared less. dealers that claim no dealer prep simply add it to the sale price. And this includes auto dealers. They ALL are pd by the manufacturer to do dealer prep them MOST charge you again. This dealer actually did not charge prep. We saved $5000 from any other dealer on the same exact trailer. Problem was though they not only didn't charge me for prep....they didn't do any. Good luck Biff!!

Biffster likes this.
  15. Biffster

Really can't say if the truck is better. My truck is hooked up o my boat 99% of the time. The ramp I use is less than 5 miles from my house.
    I did look under the truck to see if there was a new part and there was. I never had an issue with the "Death Wobble", but I was not going to wait.
    So towing the 5th wheel, I hope I never have an issue now that they have replaced the Steering Dampener.

DonW likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >