Diesel Is Seafoam safe

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Goober, Feb 11, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Goober

Is it safe to add Seafoam Motor Treatment to fuel tank for 6.7 turbo diesel? Ford manual says not to use additives with alcohol. Seafoam says it’s safe for diesel engines but it does contain some isopropanol.

Tags:
  2. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Why are you wanting to add seafoam in the first place?

3. Goober

The motor is running rough and losing power sometimes. I had it in the Ford House one time and was talking to one of the mechanics about it and he said it’s a good idea to run some C-Tane through it occasionally to keep the injectors clean. I never found a product by that name and later asked another Ford Mechanic if the precious mechanic might have been talking about Seafoam and he said that would probably work.
    The reasons and opportunity iTunes to talk to the Ford mechanics is that I’ve had issues with it multiple times. I’ve got 65k miles on it and have replaced the #6 injector twice, patched the part of the wiring harness that goes to the #6 injector and then on 2 different occasions had to have the computer reprogrammed. Those items are listed in chronological order. Everything has been done at a Ford House except the second #6 injector. We were traveling and we’re not able to get it to one. Ford did cover that injector with their warranty and reimbursed me for it though.
    Seems like I might be better off getting g rid of this trick and getting g another. Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  4. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Cetane is a component of diesel that improves the combustion of the fuel, like octane does in gasoline. There are a number of cetane additives on the market from amsoil, powerservice, etc. Any benefit you get from it is going to run out when the tank of diesel you put it in runs out. If your problems seem associated with certain tanks of fuel a cetane additive might help, but I doubt seafoam will change anything. As the lids on a lot of old diesel equipment say, "buy clean fuel, keep it clean" is still valid advice.

FTZ HAIC and Goober like this.
  5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Seafoam was put on the market back when oils had no detergent additives. Any sort of detergent additive is usually not needed unless an engine has been neglected. And if it does need a detergent additive, I'd stick with those Ford and other diesel OEMs recommend.

As Clux said, cetane booster will take care of problems associated with cetane levels. If you have injectors going out, its usually from "stiction" and more frequent oil changes with a good detergent oil will normally take care of that. Diesel Kleen by Power Services is a commonly sold booster that includes detergents, plus they sell straight cetane booster. You can get both at Walmart. Motorcraft also has cetane booster you can get by the gallon.

Goober likes this.
  6. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Is stiction even a problem on the common rail systems? I guess I thought it was just a problem fore the HEUI systems.
    I'd be afraid to put seafoam in a common rail engine, I have read even a little gasoline in them like we used to put in to prevent gelling and it's game over for the fuel injection system.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I've heard stiction can occur with any turbo diesel if the oil gets a chance to cook. Like if it's shut down with an extremely hot turbo and/or downpipe. But yeah, the 6.0L was notorious for it and the 7.3l to a lesser extent. I could be wrong, just base it on what I've heard others say over the years. Turbo cool down timers are probably a good idea either way.

8. captchas

this the only one we use

03128-04-PowerService.jpg #ad

Goober likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >