snow driving

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by RDavis, Feb 3, 2024.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. RDavis

Driving to South Lake Tahoe in the morning and expecting a lot of snow on the way. Wondering what the popular opinion is on driving speeds while in 4 wheel drive. My F250 came with the Goodyear Wrangler Adventure (Kevlar) All Terrains 275|70R18s. So what's the maximum speed in 4 high?

Also have chains for all 4 wheels...

Tags:
  2. Obe Vet Zone

It is not mentioned in any of the manuals because there is no implied limit - that said, the speed limiting factor is the condition of the road. If you have to be in 4WD to operate your vehicle in adverse weather conditions, then reducing your speed for safe operation is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer. Check your manual for the speeds at which you can shift from 2H to 4H and 4L. You will increase tire wear if operating in 4WD on dry pavement. If you are operating with chains, there should be a speed limitation that came with your chain set - again, if you have to operate with chains then your speed should be reduced.

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Two things off the top of my head:

1. While it helps in drive, it doesn't help with stopping. So I wouldn't be driving faster than I would with 2wd.
    2. If I feel I should use 4wd, conditions probably aren't good enough to go over 50mph (and far less on side streets), IMHO.

Seabiscuit likes this.
  4. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

[​IMG]#ad

Having been born and raised in snow country, and living in snow country now, I agree with Ken. I would go so far as to say 35 to 45 in 4X4 on compact ice and snow. My rule of thumb is 4 low is only for getting out of what 2wd or 4wd H got me into. Carry a shovel and a bag or two of sand or kitty litter and pay attention to Chain requirements Around here in the high cascades the roads have cleared enough that we aren't required to use them (or snow socks), but we HAVE to carry them. Conditions can change in 5 minutes.

Saw 3 SUV's and a 4X4 pickup spun out and off the road within 3 miles either side of the ski resort just 2 days ago when I was passing through. The pickup was on top of a 12' snow embankment left by the snowplows. Don't ask me how he got up there. I suspect, from the location, he was entering the corner at 60 plus when 35 would have been about the max. I'm sure that one will be an interesting recovery.
    Heading out in the morniing heading for the valley and I'm sure I'll see at least one if not more.

This was my driveway, lane and road just the other day.....Did I mention how much fun it can be?

IMG_0907.JPG #ad
    IMG_0933.JPG #ad
    IMG_0953.JPG #ad

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

^^^^^^ Looks like some nasty driving surfaces. We don't get much of it here. That makes it worse when it does because they don't have the equipment to deal with it, and it seems too many people here who drive trucks have more confidence then they should!

I've gotten myself stuck before with 4wd and learned early on it doesn't mean you always have traction. Long story, but it's no fun having a farmer pull you out of a ditch with their tractor!

6. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Much better the farmer than walking into your insurance agents office with a $600 “Recovery” tow bill to put on your roadside assistance coverage! The only 2 things thing that saved my red face was that there was no damage and I found out that My agent had had the same problem just a couple of weeks earlier in his Dodge pickup. Made for some good winter hunting - camping stories over a cup of coffee. The moral of both of our stories is that when in the mountains and the blizzard hits, you pull up stakes and get to lower altitudes before you can’t. Even if it is 1 or 2 in the morning. Turning the heat up and adding a blanket may be a poor choice.
    We have to put chains on the tractor. Even with the heavy lugs on the tires the will just sit on a thin layer and spin. In the picture of Derek’s grader/plow you can see we had chains on the rear drivers. IMG_0994.jpeg #ad
    IMG_0989.jpeg #ad

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >