Diesel Back in the shop again

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Obe, Sep 21, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Obe Vet Zone

I love my 2019 F-250 Limited with the 6.7 diesel. It hauls my travel trailer like there is nothing behind it. But damn Ford, this is the second time the turbo unit has to be replaced in less than 4 years! Sure, it's under warrantee but its 5 days for parts each time. An as usual, it happens just before a planned trip with the travel trailer. Nothing like towing a travel trailer down the highway when you get that "PING" and the message telling you the engine is going into derate mode! For you gas guys, derate mode limits engine power and truck speed to less than 50mph. Between the turbo-charger and the EGR valve, I'm starting to lose faith in the truck's reliability.

Anyone else with the 6.7 diesel in the 2019 or newer range having issues with the turbo-charger, specifically the variable geometry turbo actuator?

Tags:
    kevingsaunders likes this.
  2. DonW

Sorry you're having problems Obe. Just the word "Turbo" keeps me awake at night!!

captchas likes this.
  3. kevingsaunders

I too have a 2019. These turbos fail for a reason, infrequent oil changes, not using the exhaust brake regularly, not using a fuel additive and who knows what else. I hope others will chime in.

4. Obe Vet Zone

Oil is changed regularly, more often than necessary actually. Exhaust brake used every time TT is hooked up, 13,000 lbs of truck and trailer need all the help it can get to stop. I don't use a fuel additive because most are not recommended by Ford, though fuel seems like a likely culprit to me if the turbo-charger is sootting up.

5. Obe Vet Zone

I did some research and talked to a some of Ford diesel technicians at different dealerships and shops, all recommendations were for Motorcraft PM-22-A ULSD Compliant Cetane Booster and Performance Improver. I picked up a bottle and will give it a try as soon as my rig comes back from the shop. I'm hoping the tech does an "autopsy" of the variable geometry turbo actuator to let me know if there is anything else I should be considering.

6. Obe Vet Zone

I got the truck back today. Tech said the VGT actuator was corroded and jammed up. Soot wasn't an issue. When I asked what would cause that condition he stated that lots of short trips and too much idle time. He told me to drive the truck for longer periods and don't idle the vehicle for longer than 15 minutes.

He also stated that the last mechanic to work on the turbo (the last turbo work was done at the same dealership) had torched off the remaining stud of the band clamps behind the turbo making it nearly impossible to remove the nuts for turbo removal. He also had to drill out the hardened bolts for the EGR tube to EGR cooler. Needless to say, he was not happy with his predecessor's work.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso