2021 F250 7.3 gas

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by bryanzzz, Mar 25, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. bryanzzz

Lots of info out there on problems with 2020 model 7.3 gas with 10 sp transmission. My understanding a gen 2 transmission came out in Nov 2020. Anyone have the 2021 7.3, any problems with drive train on this year model? Thanks in advance for your input.

Tags:
  2. DonW

Had my 20 3 month, love it!! I personally haven't heard of any problems. What problems you talking about?

3. DonW

just did a quick search, everything I found real quick was problems with the F-150 10 speed. Entirely different transmission

4. bryanzzz

2020 F250 7.3 10 Speed Transmission Defect - Ford Truck ...
    https://www.ford-trucks.com › ... › 2017+ Super Duty

I have found several google results for 2020 7.3 with 10 speed. Most mention hard shift, grinding from bellhouse...something with torque converter and worst case transmission gets stuck in a gear. Several mention Ford replaced their transmission or did buy back. Glad you have not had any issues

5. KTM

I have a 21 with the 7.3, IMO it does some weird stuff, but I have no idea if it's my expectations, or the truck? I came from an 11 power stroke, which I loved, and now miss, lol.

Sometimes it feels like a hesitation when taking slow corners, and it might be a little picky about what gear it is in?

6. bryanzzz

Well..... I traded my 2016 F150 on Friday 3/26 for an F250 XLT 7.3 gas, truck built in Febuary. Took it on a short test drive. The dealer made me a deal I could not turn down with the trade allowance. Put 60 miles on it yesterday...KTM, understand what you are saying, transmission can shift so smoothly you have to watch gear indicator to tell it shifted. Other times there is no mistake when it gears up or down. Mashed the gas getting onto the interstate and when I let off the gas truck stayed in same gear for about 3-5 seconds, unusual feeling. One other thing, at low speed, like in a parking lot, steering is very firm...almost like it does not have power steering...is the common with these trucks? Thanks for any reply.

KTM likes this.
  7. DonW

You guys are imagining things......transmission is supposed to shift 1st-3rd-5th when not towing or hauling heavy load. Maybe it’s too soon, I have something over 4000 miles. Son in law just bought 2020 xlt. diesel with 20,000 miles. Always a Chevy man I can’t believe he bought a Ford. Things he likes best....bigger cab guess what......the transmission! He consistently tows 8,000-10,000 lbs. loves how he can’t feel the transmission shift.
    Now I’m not saying this because I own one because the o ly reason I bought this thing is the 7.3–transmission combo. I will always kick myself for not driving a RAM 2500 with the 6.4. Historically a strictly Ford guy till 2012 when I bought first RAM 1500. Owned 4 since with the company and myself, as far as I’m concerned after owning 4 RAMS they are the better truck, I KNOW RAM is more comfortable!

8. Macgizzard

I’ve got just over 1k on my F250 6.7 super duty crew and the steering is WAY firmer than my old F150. Yes I agree it’s at slower speeds and especially noticeable after correcting back to neutral after a turn. Only a few people have driven it but they all comment on it being “harder” to turn. I’m assuming it’s normal but haven’t found any topics on it. I expect the Nancy comments to fly:) but am still curious if it’s the norm.

9. DonW

Thatsone thing about these trucks I have not noticed

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >