F-250 Ride quality

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by DonW, Apr 19, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. DonW

I'll start by apologizing for
    1/ my spelling and
    2/ I couldn't find where I had complained about ride quality before
    As I've said I bought my 2020 F-250 because I needed to upgrade to 3/4 Ton. I was a Ford guy from 1970 to 2012 so yes, I've owned MANY. in 2012 after 10 vehicles in 12 yrs between myself, wife and company. I decided my 2008 F-250 with the 6.4 diesel thought I was wealthy. I wanted to go back to the F-150 with the 5.0. My Ford dealer basically refused to deal with me for the 5.0 and tried to shove the eco-boost down my throat. Right or wrong I was not ready for the Eco-Boost Technology nor am I now. To make this a little shorter they wouldn't deal and after 2 weeks claimed they couldn't get me financed!! I asked how about one of your Eco-Boost"? and the allowed because there were "incentives" on the Eco they probably could!!
    They were informed if they are so good then good things won't hurt you and where they could put them!! Anyhow wound up buying a RAM 1500 and at that time my loyalty to Ford ended. Between Company and myself I ended up buying 4 new RAMS between 2012 -2018.
    Loved the sound to the tech. of the 7.3 Godzilla, and still do. Mine pulls my 5th wheel like a champ, and gets reasonable fuel mileage when not towing for a 3/4 Ton truck. What do I hate???? The ride! like I said I've owned LOTS or trucks in my time, 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. This is twice as hard riding as the 2nd worse truck I ever owned!!
    However I believe I finally found out why. My friend has a 23 F-350, I expected the same horrible ride or worse from his F-350. Boy was I wrong, It rides GREAT!! Why?? Tires, it has to be. Mine has the Goodyear Wrangler, KEVLAR. Load range E, Max load range at Max air 80 lbs. is 3640 lbs! I run 60 when empty to make the ride bearable. My friends F350 has Continental Contrac's Load E but at max cold air, 80 lbs, max load is only just over 16oo lbs.!! He runs max air, 80 lbs loaded or not for some strange reason. It still rode like a dream!!
    My Wranglers are wearing good, 30,000 miles I'll probable change around 40,000 but probably could get 50,000 easy. I figure any tire by 40-50,000 miles there's a lot of rotations and flexing going on. I'll add when I drop my 5th wheel on truck, 2100 lbs pin weight, I scaled it, to only 70 lbs air the truck only settles 2 1/2" at wheel well and tires show zero squat! Next yr I'll either get rid of the truck or go to lighter tires. Please discuss.

Tags:
  2. DonW

Thanks for all the help guys! Really appreciated!

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You had no questions to discuss!

The 2023 is a new generation, not the same suspension as your 2017 - 2022 model truck, and they retuned the suspension for unladen ride quality as part of the new model update. So it's no surprise your friend's truck drives more comfortably, and it's not all in the tires.

4. DonW

Well you responded! Especially when you saw the opportunity to wise crack me......nothing new here!!

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Wise crack? What?!?

If I wise cracked you, I'd have said a lot more.

6. DonW

Ok mouth, you can have the last word on that, feel better now?
    Now you MAY of been partly right, maybe! First yes Ford did make some subtle changes in the 2023, one I like is a slight improvement in aero, there is still lots of room for improvement there. Another that may help the ride slightly is front shocks although mine is bad in all 4 wheels. However you’re wrong in implying any of these changes have anything to do in my ride because I just found out my friends was bought new 3 months ago but it’s a 2022. I have to believe the ride difference are the tires as mine are max weight way over 3000 lbs and his, although load range E are only 1600+. Huge differance in sidewall stiffness. Crack away my friend!

7. V10 NUT

1600 lb tires on a 350?
    That makes 6400 lbs total. If a dually, 9600lbs. I really HOPE that's a spelling booboo.
    That truck empty weighs more than 6400 lbs.

8. DonW

It may be, if so it’s on the tire. Seems maybe I read it wrong, It is possible. I’ll look it up, but I do remember it was FAR less than my wranglers. The think that amazed me is they both were load RANGE E 80 lbs max. The huge difference in max weight surprised me, both being load RANGE E.

9. DonW

Ok V10, I just looked up specs on Contitrac range E, low lMax load says way more, I must of read it wrong. It makes sense but now Im back to square one, why does mine ride so much harder, stiffer than his? Again his is a 2022, mine 2020. Not that it matters, I’m stuck with it until I,m not!! . Thank for helping V10!

10. V10 NUT

Tire size will have an effect on wieght rating. Even with same load range rating
    Both May be load range E but load index could be 121 on the smaller tire and 125 on the the larger tire.

11. DonW

As I recall his and my tires were the same size but I really believe mine are stronger side wall.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >