2020 F250 Super Duty King Ranch FX4 - after market backup lights

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Doug M, Dec 30, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Doug M

Good morning! I am new to the site but not new to Ford trucks. Bought above truck as retirement gift to myself. Quite pleased with the truck so far - except for the backup lights - poor at best. I want to install two external LED backup lights under the frame, but integrating them to the existing circuitry is concerning me. My truck does NOT have auxiliary/upfitter switches. If I had the dealership install these to my new truck I'd have to replace overhead console ($800+ parts alone) and another big wad of cash for install. Then hope I can connect wiring to aux panel under hood IF it has one. This is too expensive. I was told tapping into the rear tail light wiring harness/bundle (picking up the hot reverse light lead) and ground - that this approach is not recommended as it may cause circuit loading and system issues - plus it will void warranty. This scenario is also true if I tap into backup light lead on trailer connector bundle. Most kits (like those from F150LEDs) have integrated relay switches as well as in-line fuses.

How can cleanly install aftermarket backup LED's under rear frame to add light. Much needed for trailering and backing up in off-road situations. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for you help and understanding.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I had the same issue with my 2006 Super Duty, mostly because it had factory tinted windows that made it harder to see. Instead of aftermarket LEDs in their own housing, I removed the factory backup lights and replaced them with the brightest LED lights I could find. So no modifications were needed. It's very bright now, even when it's raining. I'm sure my neighbor hates me because it lights up his entire yard when I put it in reverse.

Don't get the lights at F150LEDs, you can get the same (and brighter) lights on Amazon for less money. Just get the highest lumen lights you can find. :)

ifallsguy likes this.
  3. Doug M

Thanks for the advice. I will take a look at that path - appreciate the help.

4. ChiefofStuff

What about the strip LEDs that go under the tailgate. I believe they tap the trailer connection. Then you get bright LED backup along with stop/tail/turn.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Since they are between the bumper and tailgate, would they not shine on the ground with the bumper in the way?

6. Biffster

Here is what I did:
    Ran a "Fused" protected hot wire from the battery to the rear of the truck. I also ran a ground wire too. (12gaTHHN)
    Installed a Relay using the Factory backup wire as a signal wire to the relay.
    Connected the LED's to the relay.
    This way when I put the truck in reverse, the LED lights would come on with the factory back-up lights.
    Mounted the LED at the corner of the bumper where there was couple of small fasteners.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >